Nicholas was a funny little monkey at bedtime tonight.
First, he insisted on wearing his fleece pajamas to bed. They are blue, with pictures of Elmo and Cookie Monster all over, and his absolute favorite pair. He changes into them every morning, then dances around the house singing, “Cookie Monster-Elmo, Cookie Monster-Elmo”. Cute (what’s not cute is all the extra laundry this creates!! Sigh).
Tonight, Nicholas wasn’t content to wait until morning. He HAD to wear them to sleep. No problem, right? Not really, except that it is about 90 degrees outside with 100% humidity. And he wanted to wear fleece. Now, I was a little concerned that he might melt, but I’m learning to pick my battles, so Cookie Monster-Elmo it was. With his ceiling fan on extra-high!
When I went to check on Nicholas, about a half-hour after bedtime, he was still awake. Ha! I thought to myself. I bet he’s too hot.
“Are you too hot, peanut?” I asked him as I walked into the room.
“No.” Nicholas said. “I’m squished.”
Squished? The kid has a full-sized bed. He and Ben sleep in it together during sleepover nights. How could he be squished?
Sure enough, he was curled into a tiny ball at the top of the bed, surrounded by all his friends…Moo (his favorite), Mac the Truck and Lightening McQueen, his pillow-pet, a stuffed frog, books and several more stuffies. Most nights, I try to keep the friends and books in the boys’ bed to a reasonable number. Tonight, it looked as though a few (or a lot!!) slipped-by!!
I made Nicholas a little more room in his bed, and tucked him back in…without his comforter. Fleece pajamas and heavy blankets do not mix on a hot summer night. Thank goodness for A/C. I wonder if air-conditioning companies know that they could use the whims of three-year-olds as advertisement?
Asleep and no longer squished…sort of.
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment