Pierre invented the best game ever. Pure stroke of parenting genius. The game is called, “Who can be the quietest the longest, in the car?” I told you. Brilliant!
About a week ago, we were all in the car together going somewhere. Wish I could remember where (I swear, pregnancy-brain lasts loooooooong after pregnancy). The boys were both chattering in the backseat. Talking to each other, talking to us, singing, telling jokes, cracking themselves up….It was all super-cute, but Pierre and I were trying to have a conversation in the front seat, about something serious. Wish I could remember what (See? Losing brain-cells by the minute). Before both of us lost it, Pierre said to the boys:
“Nouveau jeu!! Qui peut-être le plus silencieux, le plus longtemps, dans la voiture…?” (Translation: New game!! Who can be quietest the longest, in the car?).
Incredibly, both boys completely bought into it, no incentive required. There wasn’t a peep in the back-seat until we arrived at our destination (think we were going out for supper), at which point Nicholas yelled, in his very loudest voice, “I WIN!!!!!” (Ben then started arguing that he won, and all quiet was lost).
The best part about this new game? They’ve started playing it on their own. No mommy-prompting required. Drives in the van have been eerily quiet as of late. If they weren’t right behind me, strapped in, I would definitely think that they were up to trouble. Not so. “We’re just playing who can be quietest the longest Mommy”, they tell me.
Play-on boys, play-on.
I wonder if playing “Who can be quietest the longest while Mommy is on the phone” would be as effective?
xo Naomi
It worked?!?? Amazing! Enjoy it!!! I think I will save this one for later - Oliver is too young to understand, and I don't want the novelty to wear off before it even works.
ReplyDeleteThe novelty has worn off for the boys too. Yesterday, Ben wanted to play "who can be the loudest while mommy is driving".
Delete