The boys are getting very, very good at saying sorry. And they say it ALL. THE. TIME.
Nicholas takes a toy from Ben. I’m sorry. Ben pushes Nicholas. I’m sorry. Nicholas gives Ben a head-noggin. I’m sorry. Ben yells at Nicholas. I’m sorry.
Do you catch my drift? Sorry has become the magic word in our house. Ben and Nicholas seem to think that this one little phrase erases all manner of sins. It’s the “get-out-of-jail-free” card. The “Oh, you said sorry. Ok. You don’t really need to go to time-out for beating on your brother” password.
Nice try boys.
Yesterday, Benjamin was caught red-handed playing in my purse. Now, the boys know that my purse is strictly off-limits. It is mommy’s personal space, and each time that one of them gets into it, something goes missing or my sunglasses get broken. Hands-off.
So, with his wrist up to the zipper, Ben looks at me with his big baby-blues, and says: “I’m sorry Mommy. I’m sorry I’m playing in your purse.”
Really??
My oldest and I had a nice chat about purse-rules. There is only one rule. Do not touch. Ben followed the chat up with, “But, I said I’m sorry, Mommy.”
The sincerity with which the boys say sorry is pretty admirable for two little guys. I whole-heartedly believe that in that brief moment they are truly, very sorry. Now we have to work on the lead-up (“Don’t take your brother’s toy in the first place, and you won’t need to say you’re sorry!”), and the follow-through (“You just said sorry for taking your brother’s toy. Why are you doing it again?!”).
Thank you for saying sorry, now go to time-out.
xo Naomi
Funny, this seems to apply to husbands too...
ReplyDeleteHA! Ha! Maybe if the boys said it with flowers, I'd be ok with it!
Delete