Ok…I have to admit that I completely dropped the ball on Father’s Day this year.
The boys and I had given Pierre his Father’s Day gifts (B.B.Q. utensils and paraphernalia) the weekend before Father’s Day. Since we were going to be at the cottage on Father’s Day Sunday, I figured that early gifts were better. No need to drag everything up and back, right? Plus, Pierre almost bought all his presents during a trip to Costco, ruining his surprise (Argh!!), with me trying (and failing) to discreetly tell him, “No. You can’t buy that, but I can’t tell you why…”
So, when Father’s Day rolled around, I was so excited to be at the cottage and on vacation that I completely forgot what day it was. Oops. Thankfully, Pierre didn’t seem to remember either, or so he said.
We salvaged the day with a trip to Fort Ticonderoga with the boys’ Grand-Papa. Have you been? It is well worth a visit when vacationing nearby. The fort is an 18th century structure built by the Canadians and the French at the southern end of Lake Champlain. A great way to introduce the boys to a little bit of history, both Canadian and American. And it’s not overly large either, the perfect size for exploring with kids. Check it out:
We saw a musket fire demonstration, explored the battlements, and learned how shoes were made in 1755. Benjamin and Nicholas especially loved the cannons, pretending to fire balls into the lake. My little innocents had no idea what the cannons were really used for. They were interested in how big of a splash the balls might have made when hitting the water. Don’t you wish that adults were only interested in the same?
We also took some time to visit the King’s Gardens at the fort. Do not miss the gardens if you ever visit. The boys had a blast running on the lawns, going up and down the rows of produce, and finding vegetables that we had planted in our garden: “Mommy! These are radishes. We planted radishes too!!”
And, of course, Benjamin and Nicholas found something fun to jump from. What trip would be complete without a little launching? Honestly, little boys are a whole other species.
I’d have to ask Pierre, but I’d say that it was a pretty great Father’s Day, in the end. And the best part? Three generations of Morissette boys spent it together.
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment