My three men and I put on a yard sale today, with some good friends who live around the corner from us.
We didn’t actually sell very much, but the boys had a blast running around in the beautiful weather, and playing with their friends. And I cleaned some of the junk out my basement. Win-win on all accounts.
I’m always a little surprise by how much stuff we manage to accumulate. And I’m not great with clutter, so a lot of it had to go! I think I drove Pierre a little nuts in the days leading up to the sale, dredging up more and more things to sell. Each day saw something new added to the yard sale pile. Poor guy even parted with his old stereo from our lifeguarding days (a stereo that once gave me a heck of shock incidentally). In fact, I may have gone a little overboard searching for sale items. As I was packing up the car last night (we had the sale at our friends’ home), Nicholas said to me: “Mommy, please don’t sell Diesel (our dog). I like him.” Since Diesel was sleeping next to the junk pile, Nicholas was a little afraid that his furry buddy was headed for the door.
Today, Ben especially got into the spirit of yard sale-ing. He greeted many of our potential customers. Usually, his greeting went something like this:
“Hi! This is a yard sale. We’re selling all the old stuff we don’t want anymore. You can buy it.”
Hmmm…think Pierre and I should have worked on his sale’s pitch a little.
So not a whole lot of money made, but whatever was cleared out for the sale is NOT coming back in the house (how long do you think it’ll take to fill the basement with new junk?!). And the boys had fun. That’s enough of a profit for me.
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment