I often write about all the naughty-oh-look-another–gray-hair things that my boys do. Just as often though, they both make me very proud (wish that gray hairs worked in reverse!). And without the proud moments, the naughty ones would just be too overwhelming. So, here’s a good one:
The boys are currently taking swimming lessons. We’re at our local YMCA every morning so they can get their little bums into the pool. Thankfully, they both love the water (with two ex-lifeguard parents, they really didn’t have a whole lot of choice on that one).
As we were leaving the Y two days ago, Benjamin took it upon himself to hold open the door for everyone who walked through after him. It’s a pretty heavy door, so I tried to help him, and got a, “No Mommy. I’m going to hold it by myself”. Alright kid, go for it.
Now, a lot of people passed through that door as Ben was holding it. Most said thank you, but some didn’t (to those who didn’t, my four-year-old just taught you something about courtesy).
The story gets better though….as Ben was acting as doorman, he noticed an elderly gentleman approaching with his wife. They must have both been in their early eighties, maybe older. The man was using a walker. He had about twenty feet or so to make it to the door, when Ben noticed him. His progress was, understandably, slow. At this point, there was no one else passing through the door on the way into or out of the Y. Benjamin could easily have let go, but he didn’t. He held that door until the man and his wife arrived. It took a full two-minutes, which might not seem long, but in kid-world is an eternity (count to 60 twice in your head, and see if you don’t get bored before you’re done).
As the wife passed through the door, she looked at Ben and said, “You are such a gentleman.”
Her husband smiled and said, “Thank you, young man.”
Benjamin beamed, and told them, “You’re welcome”. He finally let go of the door after they had both walked through.
As we made our way to the car, Ben said to me: “Mommy, I had to hold the door because that man’s hands were full of something to help him walk, and he couldn’t open the door himself.”
And after a pause to catch his breath he asked, “Mommy, what’s a gentleman?”
It means you are pretty darn great kid. And I am one proud Mommy.
xo Naomi
Ok - that one made me teary...in a good way! Miss you guys! xo
ReplyDeleteThanks Auntie Jenn!! Miss you too. Ben was asking yesterday where you and Uncle Muscles lived, and if we could visit soon. xo
DeleteGreat story! I especially love his final "what's a gentleman?"... so down-to-earth, very cute. You're raising a great kid, thumbs up ;)
ReplyDeleteThanks!! I feel like I need to write down those little cute moments for all the times they are driving me crazy! =)
Delete