Usually, I write about all the funny, lighthearted, naughty things that my boys do. Today’s blog is a little different…
I am so inspired by the commencement speech given by David McCullough Jr. to the graduating class of Wellesley High School in Massachusetts that I had to write about it. At a time of year where millions of high school seniors are being told that the world is theirs for the taking, Mr. McCullough has a very different message to his graduates: “You are not special.” His words will motivate you and inspire you. Take a look:
Incredible. Words to live by, as a graduate, and as a parent. Watching this, I asked myself, how do I encourage my sons to become who Mr. McCullough describes?
There are many, many things that I want for my children. I want them to know that they are special to me, and to their father, but that this is different from being special. I want them to be kind, and empathetic, and nicer than is just necessary. I want them to be hardworking, and to know that a C that they have to work for, is more meaningful than an A that they didn’t. I want them to strive for their dreams, without trampling the dreams of others. I want them to appreciate all the unexpected little pleasures that life brings, and to remember to stop and breathe them in. I want them to love deeply without condition or reservation, and to be loved just the same. And above all, I want them to be happy, and productive, and to give because it feels good. Mr. McCullough says that, “selflessness is the best thing you can do for yourself.” I agree.
We live in a world where everyone needs to be famous, where everyone needs to be one-of-a-kind. Where so many want their five minutes in the spotlight. I don’t want my sons to be famous, or one-of-a-kind, or have those five minutes. Neither of them has to be a pro-athlete, or movie-star, or President of the United States (or Prime Minister of Canada?), though I’ll support them if that is either of their hearts’ desires.
Instead, as Mr. McCullough tells, I want them to read and to learn and to discover what they love. I want them to laugh and to sing and to feel pride in their accomplishments because they’ve been earned, not bought. I want them to know that it is okay to fall, as long as you get back up. That success is earned, not entitled.
And I want to learn to live my life this way too. To teach them with examples, rather than with words alone. I want to be the kind of parent who has the guts to tell her kids, “you are not special”, because there are so many things in life that are far more important than being special.
Thank you, Mr. McCullough for the reminder.
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment