It was a great weekend with the boys.
The weekend was so great, in fact, that I had a whole bunch of those little moments where I felt as though I really had this whole parenting thing down. And let’s face it…sometimes those moments can be rare, so when they happen, you’ve got to grab them and hold on tight.
I think that part of what made the weekend so great was that Pierre and I managed to find THE BALANCE. Yes, in caps. You know what I’m talking about. It’s the balance between doing all those little things that need to get done…bills, paperwork, cleaning, cooking, gardening, mowing, and all the rest, AND spending time with the kiddos doing what THEY want to do. Finding THE BALANCE is definitely something that Pierre and I struggle with as parents. When we are doing housework or yard work, there is guilt because we’re not taking the boys to the park. When we’re at the park, it’s hard to forget all the things that need to be done at home. And I know, ten years from now, I’ll remember the park, not the dust bunnies, but right now the mess causes stress. I’m working on it.
This weekend though, miraculously, there was THE BALANCE. And it was magical. We gardened, we mowed, we paper-worked, and we also spent time with the boys doing fun stuff (after making them “help” with the gardening and cleaning too!)
The boys are super into trains right now. The noisier, dirtier, faster, longer: the better. They have a train table in the basement that they play with non-stop. So Pierre had a complete stroke of genius when he suggested going to the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in Strasburg, PA. Local friends, if you are looking for an awesome place to take the kids, check this out:
Little kids and enormous trains are a guaranteed combination for fun!! They came, they saw, they climbed. And the smiles tell it all.
When we got home, Ben spent nap time (obviously not-napping!), building his own Lego track. Not bad, eh?
The rest of the weekend was spent playing, riding bicycles (hooray! Nicholas can peddle!!), BBQing, and finally, saying goodbye to Cornsyrup, Sockey, Frou-Frou, Red, and Blue. If you were a butterfly, wouldn’t you want to be set free (hopefully not to be eaten by a bird!)?
It was magical. I could get all metaphorical, and say that watching the butterflies fly away made me think of my boys one day leaving the nest…but, let’s not go there today. Instead, I’ll say that it was a sweet moment to share with my little men.
Hope you are having your share of magical moments too. Mine sure do make-up for the days when I am pulling my hair out.
xo Naomi
totally AWESOME!! Good for you!! Like I say take it one day at a time, and it will all flow right. You are doing a spectacular job with the boys!! You and Pierre are just amazing!! xo
ReplyDeleteWOW, that does sound like the perfect weekend! And you're so right, the magical moments really do make the train-wreck days worth while ;) Keep up the good work!
ReplyDelete