It isn’t often that I am away from the boys. Sure, Pierre and I go on date nights (I LIVE for date nights, and think they are essential to my happy marriage), and I have the occasional doctor’s appointment to which the boys are not invited (ahem, ob/gyn). Most of the time though, wherever I go, they go.
This week, however, I started back at school after a six-month break. When I was five-months pregnant with Nicholas, I started a post-grad certification in School Psychology. I take one or two classes a year, and the plan is to be done by the time the boys go to elementary school full-time. This semester I have a six-week intensive course, with class twice a week (In fact, I’m in class as I write this. Don’t worry, I’m not slacking. The class hasn’t started yet!).
I guess that the boys must have missed me while I was gone for my first class (though they were thrilled to have a boys’ night with Pierre!). When I got home around 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday I heard a little voice (a little voice that had gone to bed a half-hour before) call from upstairs, “Mommy…..Mommy…..” It was Nicholas, cute as a button in his new Jake and the Neverland Pirates pajamas, giving me his best "aren’t I adorable” look from the top of the stairs.
“Mommy!! I missed you. Come tuck me in.”
I was a complete goner. How could I possibly resist such sweetness? With Pierre rolling his eyes behind me, I quickly made my way up the stairs. Before I reached the top, Ben popped-out of his room too, in pajamas that matched his brother’s no less (no sleeping to be had here).
“Mommy!! You’re home!” He gave me a big hug, and my heart melted.
I tucked both boys back into bed, and with my heart singing, made my way back downstairs.
Now, I’m not naïve enough to think that my sweet, priceless greeting from the boys was all about me. I know that it was at least 50% about extending bedtime, even for just a few minutes. I’m pretty sure that I was being, at least a little (or a lot), used.
So what? If it comes with hugs and snuggles, I’ll take it.
xo Naomi
P.S. Happy 4th to all who celebrated! We had a wonderful holiday with great friends, and good food, complete with campfire and fireworks. Oh, and Pierre’s mom’s shortcake made out red-white-and-blue. Who could ask for more?
Nicholas and I take in the fireworks. Ohhhhh….
Grand-Maman’s shortcake. The boys’ absolute favorite!
Comments
Post a Comment