Sneeze, cough, wheeze, sniffle…
I’d long suspected that Benjamin suffered from allergies. He wakes up each morning pretty congested, he breathes though his mouth, and there are definitely days where he has all the classic sneezes, sniffles, and red, watery eyes. So, Pierre and I decided that it was time for some allergy testing.
Ben was a trooper. For those who have never had it done, allergy testing isn’t the most pleasant of experiences. Especially for a kid. Try telling a four-year-old, “Well, sweetie, we’re here today because the doctor is going to put little cactus-sharp prickles, 46 of them, up and down your back. Within a couple of minutes, the prickles are probably going to itch like crazy. We need to leave them alone for about 15 minutes. Oh, whatever you do, don’t scratch!” Yeah. Good times.
Now, I didn’t explain the process quite like that, but you get the idea. The nurse that we saw was amazing about explaining the procedure to Ben. And he gave barely a whimper as she administered the itch-inducing medication. And he didn’t scratch! Not once, even as his little back turned into a welted road-map of speed-bumps. How’s that for awesome-kid-ness? Bringing along the IPad so he could play with apps to his heart’s content probably didn’t hurt.
So, turns out I was right (sometimes I really hate being right). Ben has allergies, a lot of them. The kid is more or less allergic to every type of grass, tree, weed and mold under the sun (did I mention that we more or less live in the country?). Oh, and dust-mites, which is just awesome considering the current state of my house. I’m pretty sure the dust-bunnies are happily munching on dust-carrots as I write this. And one more thing, Ben’s allergic to this big lug:
Yup. He’s allergic to Diesel. And cats too, but no cats to be had here. Now, if it came down to it child trumps dog, but Diesel is definitely a part of our kooky family. Not to worry, said the doctor (who must be a pet-lover). There is a lot that can be done before finding Diesel a new home (with Grandma & Grandpa is Montreal?) would even need to be considered: new mattress for Ben, mattress and pillow casings, separate pajamas for sleep only, no more stuffed animals in his room (except for Lamby, who I would never be able to pry away), and a whole lot more vacuuming and mopping by me. A WHOLE LOT MORE, especially since Diesel sheds enough for three dogs. Dust bunnies, you are on notice!
Poor kiddo. Now, some perspective: in the grand-scheme-of-life, things could be a whole lot worse. Ben has allergies, and when faced with all the “what ifs?” that keep me up at night, I’d take allergies any day.
Anyone out there have allergies, or kids with allergies? Share your stories and remedies. Me? I’m making Gooey S’mores cookies. They make just about everything better.
xo Naomi
Poor kiddo! Jordan has horrible allergies in the spring (cottonwood). I think the key was realizing that not every allergy medication works for everyone - for him, it was Reactine that did the trick, while others swear by Claritin. That is, if he needs allergy meds (maybe in spring only?).
ReplyDeleteGood thing Jord's not allergic to cats: in my house, kitties trump hubby. :)
Poor Jordan! Does he know he's so far down the ladder at home? Doctor recommended Zyrtec or Allegra, and Nasonex. And no dog in his room! Now, go be nice to Uncle Muscles. =)
DeleteHello Naomi,
ReplyDeleteOk I haven't missed an entry yet and this is the first time I have commented. So I apologize for that too. Boy do I love reading your blog. Your boys are a trip and so easy to relate too. Your writing is so fun that I feel like I'm living your day with you (which really...really makes for a full day). If you keep this up you will need to publish this as a tribute to your boys..maybe when they graduate high school. Although as this rate you will need volumes :) Miss ya..keep the laughs and loves coming!
Jane
Wow! Thanks Jane. Your words have just made me feel warm all over!! I'm loving writing about the boys. Reminds me everyday why I stay home with them. Nicholas was asking to see Charlotte yesterday. Maybe a play date soon? I could use some you-time. And I definitely need to pick your brain on all things allergies! =)
Delete