I’m not trying to be a downer, but I can already feel the summer ticking away (did I just make you sad? Sorry!). The fact that 2012 is already half-done blows my mind! Remember what I’ve said about blinking? Proof is on the calendar, so to speak.
Maybe it's having a summer class. Or maybe it’s because Benjamin will be going to school five mornings a week staring in September (which I am NOT ready for). Five whole mornings without Ben. Too much of a change to contemplate right now. Nicholas will be in preschool two mornings a week, which I feel only a little more ready for, since he’ll still be with me the three other mornings.
Whatever the reason, I feel the summer drifting away on sunny mornings and humid afternoons.
But, I was feeling inspired by a mommy blog that I love to read, Mom Without a Filter (check it out!), and thought I’d create my own summer bucket list.
Before Labor Day comes, here is a list of all the things that I want to do with my boys:
- Go camping! This one is a bit of a cheat, since we already have plans to go! Camping is a whole lot of work, but also a whole lot of fun, and the boys love going. Some of my best memories from childhood are camping memories…Tent? Check. Marshmallows? Check. Fun family time? Check. Check. Check!!
- Berry-picking. This is a fun way to get outside, and the boys have a blast when we go. They usually eat more than they keep (and stain their little fingers all sorts of colors!), but that’s all part of the fun.
- Make jam. With above berries of course! There is nothing better than homemade jam on a PB&J sandwich.
- Go to the zoo. We have a small zoo not far from us. It’s a good place for a morning visit, and picnic lunch. Anyone want to join us?
- Catch lightening bugs in the bug-jug from Auntie Jenn and Uncle Jordan. Let them light up the boys’ room for a night. (I promise we’ll let them go in the morning). Lightening bugs are my favorite creepy-crawlers. They’re easy to catch, they don’t bite, and their bums light up. Best. Buggies. Ever!
- Spend a rainy day at the movies. Benjamin and Nicholas have never been to a movie theatre, but they are all about popcorn!
- Have a sleepover night. The boys love it when they get to share a room for the night (usually Nicholas’ room). There doesn’t exist an easier way to make them really happy. Better take advantage of that while I can!
- Have an ice-cream social with the boys and all their friends!! Yum and fun! Who’s bringing the fudge sauce?
- Find a new recipe for a super-summery dessert, and make it with the boys (and share the recipe too!).
- Help Ben to pass the shallow-water swim test at the pool. He is so, so close…and really into swimming.
- Watch the Olympics as a family and cheer for Team Canada AND Team U.S.A.
- Go to the shore. Spend a day at the beach, and eat seafood for supper. What better way to cap off the summer than a day by the ocean?
How could I not want to spend tons of fun time with these two?
And, there is something that I want to do that includes just one of my boys: I want to sit on the back porch with Pierre, after the boys have gone to bed, and enjoy a warm, breezy summer evening. Oh, with a glass of wine. We did that last night, just before a thunder storm rolled-in. The air smelled so good! Total summer bliss, and a definite must repeat.
Anyone want to share their summer must-dos? I’ll keep you posted as the boys and I have fun, and get them done! Best to-do list I’ve ever had.
xo Naomi
Wow - great idea! I think the idea of checking off a summer bucket list will help with that feeling of "summer is over, and we didn't do anything!" feeling come the rains of fall! Here goes:
ReplyDelete1) Finish the Warrior Dash in good time.
2) Finish the Super Spartan (it's 15km + obstacles, so I'm just aiming to finish!)
3) Do 1 one-day scramble and 1 overnighter scramble.
4) Enjoy a sunset on Eagle Mt with my hubby (and maybe a frozen yogurt).
5) Play some beach volleyball (okay, so I already did this Canada Day weekend, so I guess it should read "play more...")
6) Find and get hired for a college ecology/biology prof position!! (ok, so I have a little less control over this one, but here's hoping...)
7) Get a 6 pack (ok, I'll settle for a 4-pack, and I'm not talking beer here...).
8) Have a date night on a nice patio somewhere with my hubby and a few margaritas (ya, so this one doesn't exactly jibe with 7 above).
9) Skype with each of my friends that have moved away in the last year or two (it's one of those things that you keep planning to do and then poof! A year has gone by...).
10) Skype with my nephews!
Bonus: Climb Mount Baker!!! I've been wanting to do this for years, and every year it gets put off. Now I wake up to it every morning...and it's calling my name. ;)
Ok - so not quite as fun as your list, but I don't have kiddies! Maybe I can borrow yours for a week or two? ;)
xoxo
Jenn
I think your summer bucket-list is my bucket list. Period. Actually, I don't think I have all that stuff on my bucket list. You can borrow the kids when they're older and scramble together!
Delete