Skip to main content

New Teeth!

Benjamin has new teeth!

Most of you know, Benjamin knocked his three front teeth back after colliding with a park bench at the end of September. After an ER visit, and a trip to the dentist’s office, all three teeth were pulled. After weeks of waiting for Benjamin to heal, then months of haggling with our insurance company, having an impression done, and finally waiting for the appliance to be made, Benjamin had his new teeth fitted yesterday afternoon.

And, after all that waiting, Benjamin is… (drum-roll please), not at all impressed with his new chompers. Not at all. In fact, he asked all evening yesterday for Pierre or me to take them out (the appliance is cemented in). This morning, Ben said that he was getting used to the teeth, but later burst into tears when faced with going to school, and showing everyone his new smile for the first time. My heart just about broke for him.

So, Pierre and I are left wondering whether we made the right decision, having Ben fitted for this appliance. Our decision had very little to do with his smile. Ben is perfect to me, no matter the state of his teeth. His gummy little smile is adorable:

DSC02388

Instead, the decision had much more to do with proper spacing for his permanent teeth as they grow in, and Benjamin’s speech development. Think for a minute about all the sounds that you make that require your front teeth…”F”, “S”, “Z” and “V” sounds all use the top front teeth. And speech has never been an issue for Ben. He started to talk at 6 months (I kid you not!), and has always been clear as a bell. Considering how hard Benjamin has had to work on his fine and gross motor skills, Pierre and I didn't want for speech to become an issue.

Second, the poor kiddo was having trouble eating. All food had to be chomped by his back teeth. He couldn't bite into anything. And while he still won’t be able to eat anything overly sticky, or  bite directly into an apple, the appliance will help with eating normally.

And there was a bit of a social aspect to our decision. I cannot tell you the number of people (well-meaning certainly), who have made comments about Benjamin’s lack of teeth. Of course, the comments are well-intentioned, especially those individuals who have said to Ben, “I know what you’ll be asking Santa for Christmas…your two front teeth!!” Ummm….actually, that would be his THREE front teeth. But, who’s counting? An appliance will, hopefully, help to take the focus off of Ben’s teeth, and put it back on just Ben.

I wish I could share an amazing picture of Ben’s new smile with you, but considering his mood yesterday, this is the best one that Pierre was able to get:

DSC02399

I think Benjamin looks about eight-years-old in this shot.

If I was being completely honest with myself I’d admit that, close-up anyway, the appliance doesn't look completely natural. Maybe that’s just because I've grown so accustomed to Ben’s gummy grin. The appliance shouldn't cause Benjamin any pain or discomfort, he just needs to get used to having it in his mouth. I guess I do too.

So, did we make the right decision? I looked at Pierre last night, and asked: “Did we really just get our child fake baby teeth??”  He nodded his head solemnly, obviously as unsure of the decision as I am.

I guess that’s all part of being a parent, isn't it? You do the best to make decisions for your children, based on your very best intentions. Then you pray like crazy that you did the right thing.

xo Naomi

Comments

  1. Hi Naomi! Hopped over from the Top Mommy Blogs directory! Drew is not even two and I already second-guess parenting decisions I've made, but I think that actually makes us better because we CARE. People who just quickly make snap decisions and don't put thought into them don't care as much. You sound like a wonderful mommy and I'm sure Ben will do great with the device!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!! Thank you so much for your comment Sarah! I agree with you completely, and need to remind myself all the time that I worry because I care so darn much. Ben is already getting used to his new teeth, and so am I. =) You sound like a wonderful mommy yourself!! And thank for taking the time to help me feel better about my own parenting. So appreciated!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Funny Medicine

So, after blogging about Ben’s ear infection, a good friend messaged me on Facebook with a unique remedy for ear pain. She’s had a ruptured eardrum, so if she says that this works, I’m inclined to believe her. Here’s the message: “If Ben complains about pain, take an onion and mash it as you would a potato. Then, wrap it in something and heat it in the microwave till it’s hot (not hot like I'll burn you if I touch it, but hot). Take it out of the microwave and wrap it in a towel (don't worry you can wash it out after), put it on a pillow and then have Ben put his sore ear on it. When he no longer feels the heat, move a piece of towel away so he is one layer closer to the onion.” What do you think? Neat, eh? My pediatrician recommended a few drops of olive oil in the ear to ease pain. I’ve tried it with Ben, and it seemed to give him some relief. I’m going to try the onion. Why not? It’s an alternative that just might work. And I think that Ben would find it kind of fun to put...

Here we go….

I’ve been wanting to start a blog for a while now. I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about starting it, talking about starting it, tinkering with the layout (and that was hard because I am basically a computer-dummy), and now, writing it. Is anyone actually going to read what I write on here? Maybe. Well….my mom will read it (Hi Mom!). Regardless, I do have a purpose to starting this, and here it is: Deciding to be a mom was one the very best decision that I have ever made (second only to marrying Pierre), and I want to share that. The time spent being home with my boys goes by so fast. Ok….let’s rephrase that….actual days can seem endless (and there are definitely times when I call Pierre at work, and tell him not to dare come home without wine. Or chocolate. Or both!!), but still each day, each week, seems to be going by faster and faster. I blinked and my youngest went from being a baby to turning three years old this coming Tuesday. And the next time I blink he’ll be thirty-three!...

Caterpillars Are Friends

After all the complaining about ticks, I probably should try to show that I am a friend to most creepy-crawlies. So, allow me to introduce to the newest members of our family….five Painted-Lady Butterfly caterpillars.   Nicholas received these little critters for his birthday from our very good friends Kim & Brad, and their three awesome kiddos.  (Kim used to teach preschool…can you tell?). They came as part of a Live Butterfly Garden and Hatching Kit. We ordered our caterpillars online (anyone interested? Check out www.insectlore.com ), and within three days our caterpillars were delivered to our front porch (I wonder what the postman thought of that? Hope he doesn’t mind larvae!). The boys and I followed the directions in the box, which pretty much amounted to leaving the hungry little bugs alone, (Nicholas needs frequent reminders. He likes to turn the jar upside-down. Can caterpillars have heart attacks?), and in a few more days we should have five little chrysalid...