The boys have not been themselves this past week. I’m blaming jolly old Saint Nicholas.
To say that Benjamin and Nicholas have been excited would be an understatement of epic proportions. They’ve been bouncing around the house like Tigger on go-go juice. And I’m pretty sure that both little monkeys have jingle-bells stuffed in their ears. How else can I explain the sudden decline in their listening skills? The time-out corner has been putting in some major overtime.
Excitement abounds. They’re excited for school Christmas parties. They’re excited to see family. They’re excited for snow (ugh), and they’re mostly excited for a visit from a certain Mr. Claus and his team of eight reindeer. Well, nine reindeer if Rudolph leads the way.
And with all the excitement, comes some stress…at least for Ben (Nicholas just bounces into time=out and straight back out again like a naughty little Energizer Bunny). Benjamin is a whole other story. Each trip to time-out is met with a major meltdown. Think nuclear. All the drama could win him an Oscar. There is lying on the floor, there are tears and hiccups, and there are a whole lot of promises to be good. Until the next time anyway.
Now, Ben’s a pretty even-keeled kid. He tends to be a bit of an Eeyore sometimes, but nothing like this. Which brings me back to Santa. I blame this behavior entirely on Mr. Claus’ influence. This year, more so than any other, Benjamin is very aware of Santa. He knows all about the nice and naughty list, and what needs to be done to be on the former, and stay off the latter. Hence the time-out drama.
In fact, the other night, as I was putting him to bed after a particularly trying day, Benjamin stoically told me: “Mommy, if Santa doesn’t bring me presents this year, maybe he will bring me presents next year.”
Cue the violins.
I assured him that he would still be on Santa’s nice list, and to just try a bit harder to behave the next day.
Benjamin Rudolph
Now, Pierre and I haven’t played up the whole “be good or Santa’s not coming” thing, or as I call it: ‘The Santa-Effect’. First, because it would be a rather empty threat what with how spoiled the boys get by family at Christmastime (I’m looking at you Grandma & Grandpa). And second, because there is no way that the man in the red suit is having more clout in my house than I do. Besides, the Santa-Effect may be super effective in December, but it is so much less potent in July. Somehow using Santa as an incentive for good behavior just doesn’t work with sunshine and sunscreen.
We do have Frisbee, our Elf on the Shelf. At this point, I think the boys regard Frisbee as a nark, more so than anything else. I’m looking forward to his final return flight to the North (or to the back of my closet).
I think that it’s easy to forget that all that Christmas excitement can cause some anxiety for our little ones. At least, I think that’s what’s going on with Ben. Or maybe I’m just hoping that’s what’s going on. I’ll let you know on Boxing Day.
How are your kiddos dealing with Santa’s impending arrival?
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment