A happy post…
Eight years ago, yesterday, Pierre and I said, “I do”.
We had been busily planning an August wedding when Pierre was offered a job in San Diego, California. With the move, work visas and more looming, we pushed our vows up, and were married within three weeks of Pierre’s job offer. On a snowy day at the end of December, in Pierre’s family’s living room, we vowed forever to each other with just our parents as witnesses.
It was beautiful. We still had the August wedding, and it was a wonderful time to celebrate our marriage with family and friends. But, December is when we celebrate being married to each other. It is a day just for us, and the family that we’ve made together.
I wish that I could impart some helpful wisdom on marriage, for when Benjamin and Nicholas read this someday. I can’t….I’m still figuring it out! For me, happily ever after is just about being married to Pierre. And I hope that together, we’ll be able to show our boys just how good a happy marriage can be.
So, since I have no wisdom of my own, I’ll share some from a wonderful lady who I think has a whole lot: the incomparable Mrs. Diana Jackson. Mama J., as she is most fondly known to many, wrote this poem for Pierre and me. She read it at our August wedding. I could never hope to offer better advice than Mama J. does in her writing, and I’d love to share it with you. Maybe someday, I’ll be able to share it with Benjamin and Nicholas on their wedding days.
My Wedding Wish
Having the wisdom
To greet each new day
With wonder, gratitude and love,
Such is my wish for you.
Being encircled
By family and friends
Who will faithfully offer their support and encouragement,
Such is my wish for you.
Knowing
When to celebrate each other’s strengths and
When to accept each other’s weaknesses,
Such is my wish for you.
Achieving
The knowledge that your love can provide you
The strength to face life’s inevitable challenges,
Such is my wish for you.
Discovering
Comfort in each other’s eyes and
Security in each other’s arms,
Such is my wish for you.
Remembering
To compromise when challenged and
To find forgiveness in your heart when needed,
Such is my wish for you.
Creating
A safe place to land
When the ride of life is rough,
Such is my wish for you.
Finding serenity
In the knowledge
That you will be loved and cherished forever.
Such is my wish for you.
- Diana Jackson
More to come about the holidays…
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment