No matter how hard Pierre and I work to protect our boys, accidents just seem to happen. In a split second. And there is nothing to be done to prevent them from happening either.
Yesterday, during a birthday party at the park, Benjamin and Nicholas – each running full-tilt – collided. Both went flying. Nicholas landed on his bum in the sand. Whew. Benjamin went mouth first into a hard, plastic bench. Words cannot describe the OUCH!
It all happened about three feet from where Pierre and I were standing. I had Ben in my arms within five seconds or less. There was blood and cries and horrified looks from the other parents at the park (each imagining their own child). There was also an awful thunk as teeth met plastic that I still can’t get out of my head. Once we had cleaned Ben up a little, we saw the damage: three teeth of his upper jaw were bent backwards, his lips and gums were swollen, he had a small cut under his bottom lip. And we were headed to the ER. Five hours later, after exams and x-rays, we were headed home with a prescription for antibiotics, and instructions to see a pediatric dentist - first thing in the morning.
Off we went to the dentist this morning, and out came three of Ben’s top teeth. He is grinning with his gums now…or will be once the swelling goes down. We’ll go back in three weeks to have him fitted for an appliance.
At one point, in the ER last night, Pierre turned to me and said, “And you don’t want the boys to play hockey.” Point taken.
Benjamin was a trooper throughout. Actually, the physician’s assistant in the ER called him a rock star. And he was! After the initial “thunk” Benjamin barely peeped. He was much more interested in how all the machines and buttons and x-rays worked at the hospital. The nurses and techs thought he was adorable. He even remembered his pleases and thank yous. Swollen gums and all. Unbelievable. Where did I ever get such a great kid?
This morning, at the dentist’s office, there was a television on the ceiling playing cartoons. Enough said.
So tonight, his little teeth are safely stowed under his pillow, hidden away in the treasure chest given to him by the dentist. Pierre and I have told Benjamin that sometimes, when the Tooth Fairy thinks that a child is extra-special, she brings a present instead of money. Ben is hoping for a present. I’m pretty confident that the Tooth Fairy will come through for him.
All this just in time for Ben’s birthday, and his class pictures next week. I have no intention of having retakes done, however. Toothless is how Benjamin is at this very moment in time. One day, those pictures will provide some neat “remember when” moments, and will be wonderful fodder to show to his future girlfriend.
More to come on this. I have a lot of people to thank.
xo Naomi
Naomi, my heart skipped a couple beats as I read this! I am so sorry that Ben, and all of you had to go through this, but I am so relieved to know that all of you are ok! I am sure that this is a great time for a "special treat" for Ben, Nicolas, Pierre and you!
ReplyDeleteLove you all.
You are so right! Ice cream is exactly what he needed. Thank you for the lovely treat! The boys thank you too!!
Delete