Skip to main content

Snack Day!

Today is Benjamin’s snack day at school.

When you’re five years old, snack day is very, very exciting. Ben has been talking about his snack day all week, and when he was sick and home from school on Tuesday and Wednesday, he was more than a little concerned that his fever would threaten his turn to bring in snack.

Luckily, he’s back to being healthy. There was much discussion that went into this snack. Two children in Ben’s class have allergies: eggs, diary and nuts. Ben sat beside one of the children at the beginning of the school year. Each day when he came home, after telling me whose snack day it was, and what they brought in, Ben would let me know whether or not his seatmate was able to have the snack. Most days, the snack wasn’t safe for his friend, so an alternate treat was given. Ben wanted to know why. I explained to him about food allergies.

Food allergies are something that I know a little bit about. Growing-up, I was diagnosed as being severely allergic to shellfish after several reactions ranging from a rash and itchy mouth to anaphylactic shock. At the time, doctors predicated that my allergy was so severe that they wouldn't even test me for it. The treatment was to stay away from everything with a shell. No problem right? Well, every once in awhile, I would still react to something in my non-shellfish food. Hmmm. About two years ago, I bit the shrimp-bullet, so to speak, and got tested. Turns out, I’m not allergic to shellfish after all. Had I grown out of it? More than likely, I was misdiagnosed. What am I allergic to? No idea.

Needless to say, food allergies are a pain in the tush, and thankfully, neither of the boys have them. Being able to eat whatever he wants, Ben was sensitive to his classmates who couldn’t. I was impressed with and (shameless brag here) proud of his empathy towards his friends. As his snack day approached, Ben reminded me over and over and over that his snack could not have dairy, eggs or nuts. Over and over and over. And over again.

In the end, I sent in Rice Krispy squares made with margarine instead of butter. And grapes too. And after assuring Ben that no, margarine most definitely did not have any dairy in it,  my oldest went off to school this morning proud of his allergy-free, everyone-friendly snack.

The next time that Ben is being mean to his brother, or giving me attitude (seriously, how do five years old know how to give attitude?!) I’m going to reread this blog to remind myself how kind he can be.

Any fun suggestions for allergy-free snacks? Share them. Snack day comes up once a month in Ben’s class, so I need some ideas for next time.

xo Naomi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Funny Medicine

So, after blogging about Ben’s ear infection, a good friend messaged me on Facebook with a unique remedy for ear pain. She’s had a ruptured eardrum, so if she says that this works, I’m inclined to believe her. Here’s the message: “If Ben complains about pain, take an onion and mash it as you would a potato. Then, wrap it in something and heat it in the microwave till it’s hot (not hot like I'll burn you if I touch it, but hot). Take it out of the microwave and wrap it in a towel (don't worry you can wash it out after), put it on a pillow and then have Ben put his sore ear on it. When he no longer feels the heat, move a piece of towel away so he is one layer closer to the onion.” What do you think? Neat, eh? My pediatrician recommended a few drops of olive oil in the ear to ease pain. I’ve tried it with Ben, and it seemed to give him some relief. I’m going to try the onion. Why not? It’s an alternative that just might work. And I think that Ben would find it kind of fun to put...

Here we go….

I’ve been wanting to start a blog for a while now. I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about starting it, talking about starting it, tinkering with the layout (and that was hard because I am basically a computer-dummy), and now, writing it. Is anyone actually going to read what I write on here? Maybe. Well….my mom will read it (Hi Mom!). Regardless, I do have a purpose to starting this, and here it is: Deciding to be a mom was one the very best decision that I have ever made (second only to marrying Pierre), and I want to share that. The time spent being home with my boys goes by so fast. Ok….let’s rephrase that….actual days can seem endless (and there are definitely times when I call Pierre at work, and tell him not to dare come home without wine. Or chocolate. Or both!!), but still each day, each week, seems to be going by faster and faster. I blinked and my youngest went from being a baby to turning three years old this coming Tuesday. And the next time I blink he’ll be thirty-three!...

A Brother’s Love

The boys had ice-cream for dessert tonight. In fact, not only did they have ice-cream, they had an ice-cream sundae with whipped cream and strawberries, a special treat as only Grandma can make. Spoiled little bugs. Just as my two sweet-toothed monkeys were about to dig-in, Grandpa, being “the silliest” as Nicholas calls him, pulled a fast one. Taking Nicholas’ bowl of ice-creamy-yumminess, Grandpa said: “Mmmm-mmmm. That’s my ice cream, Nicholas. Thank you!” And he pretended to gobble up the bowl. Nicholas was not impressed. He stuck-out his bottom lip, and gave a somewhat convincing fake cry while burying his little head in his chair. I wouldn’t have awarded him an Oscar for this particular performance, but his point was clear enough: Grandpa had his ice cream, and he wasn’t going to let it be eaten without protest. Now Benjamin, watching all this unfold, had a very different reaction. His big, blue eyes welled up with tears, not of the crocodile variety, his face cru...