Benjamin lost his first tooth yesterday. Legitimately this time. No benches, no dentists, no Novocain and pliers. All Ben needed for this tooth was a bite of pizza.
His bottom teeth have been loose for a couple of weeks now. In fact, they’ve completely shifted around, and are sticking out in all directions in his mouth. I’d been encouraging him to wiggle them, or let me wiggle them (wiggling teeth does not gross me out. Let me at the suckers!), but Ben was strictly hands-off. Considering how toothless he is after his close-encounter with a park bench, I didn’t mind his reluctance to lose another.
Pierre and I figured that the tooth (and its partner) would probably come out in Ben’s food. We just hoped he wouldn’t swallow it. Well, yesterday during lunch, after a big bite of veggie pizza (I fool myself that having vegetables on pizza makes it healthy!), Ben held out his hand and cried, “Mommy! Look!!”.
Sure enough, a cute, tiny, baby tooth sat on his palm. He had lost his first (well, kind of) tooth! A bittersweet moment in our house. Honestly, I think losing this small tooth hit me more than all other three that he knocked out. This loss was momentous. My big little boy lost his first tooth! A milestone. Another reminder of just how quickly he is growing up.
We put the tooth in his treasure chest, and put it under his pillow for the Tooth Fairy.
“I wonder what the Tooth Fairy will leave under your pillow?” I said to Ben. “Maybe a dollar?”
“No Mommy. Remember what you told me? When the Tooth Fairy thinks that you’re really, really special, she leaves you a present.”
Oops. I had told him that. After the trauma of losing his top teeth, the Tooth Fairy decided to do something special for Ben. She left him a small present - glow-in-the-dark planets and stars. Hmmm, looks like the Tooth Fairy had dug herself into a sticky, present-filled hole. Not wanting to disappoint, I rummaged through my craft box until I found a leftover craft project from Nicholas’ birthday party: a dinosaur picture frame. It was wrapped, and placed under Ben’s pillow, along with the dollar. Another reminder to be careful what I say. Benjamin’s memory is way better than mine.
Before the boys went to bed last night, we read The Real Tooth Fairy by Marilyn Kaye. Have you read it? What a fantastic story! And perfect for toothless little bugs, curious about what the Tooth Fairy really looks like. The book was given to us by Pierre’s colleague Gloria (who also gave us the playhouse). It was one of her son’s favorite stories. And now one of my boys’ favorites too.
I think the other bottom tooth will probably abandon ship in the next few days. Honestly, instead of Captain Hook, I should have dressed Benjamin as a hockey player for Halloween (although pirates probably didn’t have the best dental hygiene either, right?). And the Tooth Fairy had better go to the craft store and stock-up on little gifts. I don’t see an end to this tooth-losing epidemic anytime soon.
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment