Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canucks!
For my American friends, Thanksgiving in Canada is the second Monday in October, same day as Columbus Day, as opposed to the end of November in the U.S. No, it’s not earlier because the Pilgrims landed in Canada first (I’ve actually had someone ask me this!!). In part (and there’s a lot more history to it really), it’s because the harvest is traditionally earlier in Canada. Colder weather, eh?
I miss Thanksgiving in Canada. Mostly because I miss the tradition and family-togetherness that the holiday brings. For me, Thanksgiving meant dinner at my parents’, turkey being roasted on the BBQ (even in the rain or cold), my Mom’s amazing bread stuffing, ‘lots of people, ‘lots of noise, and ‘lots of fun. And I’ve always loved Thanksgiving weekend in Canada. Pierre asked me to marry him during a Thanksgiving camping trip nine years ago (on the beach at sunset – what a guy!), so the holiday holds some very special memories.
Pierre and I struggle sometimes to create those kinds of Canadian traditions with our small family, especially when the immediate world around us isn't celebrating too. But last night we made it a little special. We cooked a delicious supper together (cedar-plank chicken…YUM!), with Pierre BBQing in the rain and cold, ate apple cake for dessert, and went around the table sharing what we were thankful for. Benjamin said he was thankful for Lego; Nicholas for the playhouse that Pierre and I are building for them (we’ll work on being thankful for family, health and all that…they’re still little). Pierre and I are both thankful for our boys, their health, our home, our family – in Canada and our new family of friends and neighbors in PA, and each other.
A few more things I’m thankful for? Hair dye, snuggles, suck-in-the-mommy-tummy underwear, wine, bedtime, date nights, and hearing my boys laugh. Oh, and the boys have been keeping really busy with all the Lego that Benjamin got for his birthday, so I’m with Ben: I’m thankful for Lego too.
All the best to my family and friends on this Thanksgiving. Here’s hoping that your lives are filled with love, laughter, health, and much to be thankful for.
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment