Benjamin’s kindergarten class hosts a Mystery Reader each week. Every Friday, a parent, grandparent or someone special to a child in the class. goes to school at the end of the morning to read to the children. This week, it was my turn. I LOVED it. It goes without saying that I love, love books, and reading them to kids. You can take the teacher out of the classroom, but you can’t take the classroom out of the teacher, eh?
The identity of the Mystery Reader is always a surprise for the children. And this was the very best part for me. It was so hard not to spill the beans to Benjamin. All week, I wanted to tell him, “Guess what? I’m coming to your class on Friday to read to you! Let’s choose the books together.” Am I ever happy that I kept the surprise. Nicholas was invited to come as was Pierre’s dad, who is visiting us for the weekend. The look on Benjamin’s face as we walked through the door -Nicholas insisting on holding the bag of books, and going first (nothing shy about that kid!) – was incredible! It was a moment that I will hold in my heart forever. Benjamin jumped up from his seat on the carpet, yelled, “MOMMY!!!”, and rushed to give me a huge hug. His smile, toothless and all, was enormous! Then he hugged his Grand-Papa (what a treat that Pierre’s dad came too), and grabbed his brother by the hand, pulling him to sit on the carpet. Together, my two boys settled down to listen to me read. Life does not get sweeter.
I read two of Benjamin’s favorite stories: The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson (FYI: The Gruffalo has his own website. Who knew?), and Click, Clack Moo: Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin. Benjamin and Nicholas adore these books…we’ve read them many, many times, so I knew that the two stories would likely not disappoint. Both have some repetition too, so the kindergarteners had fun filling in the words that I forgot. That forgetful mommy-brain sure is a hazard sometimes. I had a third book in my bag, How Deep is the Sea? by Anna Milbourne, but I’ll save that one for next time.
How fun it was to be the Mystery Reader! I am so grateful to Benjamin’s teacher for allowing me to share in her class. What an amazing way to encourage parents to read to their children. Mystery Reader will definitely be an idea that I steal, should I ever go back to teaching in a classroom. And how kind of her to include Nicholas (making it so much easier for me to come in without having to find a sitter – smart teacher, eh?), and Grand-Papa too.
And as special as it was for Benjamin, it was just as special for me. Parenting is hard work, and it can be thankless work too. Ben’s spontaneous happiness was all the thanks I needed today.
Mystery Reader…so much more than just reading.
xo Naomi
P.S. Try this amazing Autumn pasta recipe. A huge THANK YOU to my gorgeous friend Ali for sharing:
Comments
Post a Comment