Benjamin woke-up on the wrong side of the bed this morning…which is difficult since one side of his bed touches the wall.
Everything has been an argument. ALL. MORNING. LONG. And it’s only 10:00 a.m. It might just be an extra-long day. And Pierre is working late tonight. Great.
Here’s a sample of the conversations between Benjamin and me this morning:
Me: Ok Ben. You can have oatmeal, waffles or bagel for breakfast this morning. Which would you like?
Ben: I want yogurt with fruit.
Me: Sorry buddy, but that’s not one of your choices. Choose again: oatmeal, waffles or bagel?
Ben: I want yogurt with fruit.
Now first of all, yogurt with fruit was not one of the THREE choices (which I think is pretty darn generous), and second; he didn’t ask politely, so there was no way I was giving into this one (I might have had he said please). He ended up choosing a bagel.
Next, he overheard me on the phone with the pediatrician’s office making an appointment for his five-year well-check:
Ben: Why do I have to go to the doctor?
Me: Because the doctor will weigh you, and take your height, and just make sure that you’re healthy.
Ben: I don’t want to go (going to a well-check has never been an issue before this morning).
Me: I know, but it’s important to go for a check-up. Papa and I go for check-ups too.
Ben: Well, I don’t like it.
Me: Why not?
Ben: I don’t like it when the doctor gives me new stickers.
Me: Stickers? (Thinking maybe he meant shots).
Ben: Yes. Stickers. I don’t like stickers.
Huh? That’s like saying that I don’t like chocolate (or wine!). Now I knew he was just arguing for the sake of arguing. Pleasant, eh?
In fact, he’s arguing with me as I type this (I know. I’m a horrible mom for ignoring my kids for five minutes while I write this):
Ben: Mommy. I want to sit on your stool (at the counter).
Me: Sorry Ben. I’m sitting here.
Ben: But, I want to sit there! (add a little whine to this one).
Me: Ben. You can find somewhere else to sit, or you can go sit in time-out. Make a good choice.
Guess what he chose? He’s currently sitting on the other stool at the counter. Good grief.
Now, I’m all for my boys expressing their opinions. It’s an important skill in life to develop (and one that I’m not particularly good at). BUT, it’s equally important to learn that you can’t always get what you want. That’s also part of life. And I’m not about to get into a power-struggle with my (almost) five-year-old. I’m learning to pick my battles, and he’s learning (hopefully) to make choices, even when the options aren’t ideal. And some things, like a well-check with the pediatrician, are non-negotiable. Sorry kid.
If this keeps up, I’m going to need to start saving for law school.
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment