Last night was just one of those nights.
I’m gulping tea by the gallon today, and wishing that I was a coffee-drinker.
It all started with Benjamin. He was up and out of bed countless times before midnight. First, it was growing pains. Now, Ben gets growing pains a whole lot. He’s growing like a beanstalk, and out-eats me daily. I think that the pains in his legs also come from rolling in his ankles and knees. I’ll admit, I’ve been less than great about having him wear his ankle supports this summer (it’s just been so darn hot!). And both Pierre and I had growing pains as kids (I still remember my dad rubbing my legs until I fell asleep at night), so there has to be some heredity at play. Whatever the reason, growing pains it was, and he was up. A lot. Poor kiddo. Pierre and I took turns rubbing his legs, stretching him, and putting him back to bed (anyone have tricks for easing these pains?).
Now, I have patience for growing pains, other excuses for getting out of bed? Not so much.
So, my patience levels took a serious nose-dive as Ben found other reasons to be up: It was too dark in his room, it was too light in his room, there was a noise outside his room, there was a monster under his bed…
Nice try kid. GET TO SLEEP!!! Or the only monster you’re going to have to worry about will look a lot like Mommy!
Ben’s been up quite a bit at night lately, and it’s starting to become something of a habit. This is one habit that will be kicked, and fast, or I am going to be one cranky-mommy. And NO ONE wants that!
By midnight, Ben was in bed for good, and so were Pierre and I.
Or so we thought.
At 3:00 a.m. a little voice spoke up on Pierre’s side of the bed: “Papa, j’ai fait pee-pee dans mon lit.” Nicholas.
Now, my first semi-coherent thought was, “Oh my gosh!! Nicholas just spoke a full sentence in French without being asked!! Woo-hoo!!!”
That thought was quickly replaced when my sleepy brain kicked into gear, and I fully realized what he had said. Pee in the bed. Great.
Now bed-wetting for a three-year-old is a pretty normal occurrence, and usually happens when the child is deep asleep. Nothing to do but get-up, clean-up our youngest, change the bed, and get the little bug back into it. Nicholas was a trooper. He only became upset when we realized that Moo, his lovey, was less than fresh. Apparently Moo had wet the bed too. Nicholas’ face when I told him that Moo needed a bath before getting back under the sheets broke my heart a little. BUT, by now it was 3:15 a.m., and Moo would have to wait until morning for that bath. So we sent in the sub, a stuffed dog, and Nicholas cuddled up.
Pierre and I went back to bed. Again.
Honestly, if I wanted to be up this much at night, I’d have another baby. Geez.
I think it’ll be an early bedtime tonight. For everyone.
xo Naomi
Gus and JJ get them. I think it is hereditary, I use to get them... yes I!! Until I stopped growing at 5 years!! Ok seriously..... For both we do the same thing, rub their legs, we also have something called the magic sack. you heat it in the microwave, we find the heat helps a lot. Also we give kids Tylenol ,if its really bad.
ReplyDeleteThanks Auntie Reese!! I am definitely going to buy a magic sack!
Delete