One of the items on my summer to-do list was to help Benjamin pass the shallow-water swim test at our local YMCA. It’s not looking good. Let me explain:
The Y has an outdoor pool where the boys and I spend A LOT of time during the summer. It’s a great meeting spot for all of our friends: there is a huge pool, splash-pad, covered baby pool, and a park where the boys love to dry off after playing in the water (and before getting into my mini-van). We’ve spent many a happy day at the outdoor pool at the Y.
I’ve been a little less than pleased with some of the policies at our Y this summer though: all non-swimmers must now wear a coast-guard approved PFD or lifejacket in the large pool (not the baby pool), until they pass two swim tests. Passing the shallow water test means being allowed in arm-pit deep water without the PFD. Passing the deep water tests means you can leave the PFD at the door. Now, I’m not crazy about this rule. Pierre and I want to teach our children to swim, without the PFDs. Not a chance, say the lifeguards. PFDs stay on at all times. No exceptions, even for parents who could probably swim circles around the lifeguarding staff (and by parents, I mean Pierre!!). And here’s the thing, as a former lifeguard (and really, you don’t need to have been a lifeguard to realize this) I know that there are parents out there who use the PFD as a reason to not watch their children as closely as they should (these might be the same parents who inspired the PFD rule in the first place)…just saying.
It turns out, the boys love the PFDs. They can swim in the deep-end, within arms’ reach of Pierre or me, but with the freedom of not having to cling to us, lest they sink to the bottom. So, PFD rule? Not so bad after all.
Unfortunately, that’s not the end of the story. Ben really, really wants to pass the shallow water test, and earn his bracelet, the one that says he doesn’t need a PFD in the shallow-end of the pool. To pass, he needs to float on his tummy, float on his back, and swim half a length of the pool. He’s taken the test twice…and no bracelet. Why? Because he can’t float on his back (and no amount of teaching him to float has helped so far). He can tummy float, and can swim more than a half-length, with his head and arms out of the water. That back float though? His little bum must have a magnet pulling it to the bottom of the pool. So, what does Ben do as he starts to sink while attempting to float on his back? He kicks his legs, moves his arms, and pops back-up to the surface. He swims.
Now, I get that rules are rules. In fact, I’m a follow-the-rules kind of girl, but sometimes I think that common sense has to trump rules. The shallow water test should test whether or not a child can swim in shallow water. Whether they can safely play in shallow water, within arms’ reach of a parent, without a PFD. And let’s face it, we almost all know someone who just can’t float. Pierre is that someone for me. And he’s an awesome swimmer. From what I’ve read, the inability to float might have to do with low body fat. Ben’s a bean-pole. Maybe, developmentally, he’s just not ready to float. And the fact is, someday he will learn to float on his back, but his inability to do so right now is not impeding his ability to swim. The kid, with a gross motor delay I might add, is a fish. Though he’d probably tell you that he is, in fact, a shark. Or maybe a crocodile. It depends on the day.
I know, I know….if I don’t like it, give up the membership and go somewhere else. I get that, but get this: the boys are still having a blast, even though momma-bear is irate. And who's going to take all that fun away from them? Not this momma-bear.
The pool closes on Labor Day. The boys will start swimming lessons again at our local high school, which they both love. And next summer, I bet both will be ready for the shallow water test. Maybe Benjamin will even be ready for his deep-water test, back float or not.
xo Naomi
That PFD rule is bogus. In fact, I think we used to have the opposite rule at our pool EXACTLY for the reason you mentioned above: because parents throw the PFD on their kiddos, toss 'em in the pool, and walk away for adult social time and a nap in the sun. Plus, how the heck is a kid supposed to learn to swim if they're wearing a PFD? Yeesh.
ReplyDeleteFor some reason I remember having trouble to back float - mostly when doing synchro. The trick for me was to tilt my head way back and try and look behind me, while pushing my feet towards the bottom of the pool - which together made my abdomen pop up! It's a tricky one - but like you said, has no real impact on the kiddo's ability to swim - unless he's set on doing the backstroke. ;)
Keep it up Ben - you'll get it!! :)
Thanks!! And I completely agree with you. I remember those parents at the Rec: "Sorry sir, but you need to be in the water with your two-year-old. Yes, even if she is wearing a life-jacket". Geez!! And thanks for the tips on how to back float.
Delete