We’re trying something new this afternoon: quiet time for both boys, in their rooms.
Benjamin has been having quiet time in his room for awhile now. He gave up his nap ages ago. For Nicholas, this is something new. I blogged a little while ago about how Nicholas was giving up his nap, or rather I was making him give up his nap. The transition has been a little haphazard. Maybe it’s because it’s summertime. Some days Nicholas napped (only be be up until close to 10 p.m. and a grump the next day), other days I showed the boys a movie (thank you Disney!), and many, many days quiet time was skipped all together. Hmmm…not much of a routine, eh? Since we’re heading back into the structure of the school year, it was time to get some structure back into the house too!
So, what to do? Well, when in doubt, I consult my mommy-network. One amazing mommy-friend said that her two oldest kids play quietly in their rooms for an hour or so while her little one naps. Could it be more simple? Simplicity as a solution: I love it! Now, to give it a spin.
I quickly realized that the boys had almost no toys in their bedrooms. How did that happen? The rest of the house looks like a collision between Toys ‘R Us and the toy section at Target. So, this morning the boys and I spent some time putting their choice of toys upstairs into their rooms. They chose trucks, cars, puzzles and books. Benjamin wanted his mini-pinball machine, and Nicholas had me bring up his car garage. No problem. For a successful quiet time, I’d haul up the entire toy box!
I spent some time talking to Nicholas about playing quietly in his room (Ben is an old pro), told both boys they had to stay in their rooms for an hour until I came to get them, then closed their doors. So far they have been out once each to use the potty, and Nicholas has been out twice more to ask if he can play in Benjamin’s room. Ummm…no. THAT would defeat the whole purpose of quiet time.
It’s been about 30 minutes now. I can hear Ben playing away in his room, but Nicholas is suspiciously quiet. Maybe he fell asleep…Does that count as quiet time? Ugh.
What does quiet time look like in your house? Share your ideas!
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment