Airplane and Space Shuttle get one more night in the Caterpillar Inn, then it’s back to the wild for these two creepy-crawlers.
Turns out, when Eastern Black Swallowtail caterpillars get annoyed and stick out their little orange antennae, they also emit a smell. An ingenious defense against predators (and little boys, as it turns out). I can only describe the smell as being somewhere between stinky feet and rotten cheese. Or better yet, stinky feet dipped in rotten cheese. Needless to say, it isn’t pleasant. And with Benjamin and Nicholas eagerly checking out their insect friends, Airy and Spacey seem to get annoyed rather often. Since they’ve taken up residence in our kitchen, I’ve caught a whiff, every so often, of something unpleasant. Now I know what it is. And there are enough smelly things in my house already, thank you very much.
So, out they go. Since their siblings have eaten the tops off all my parsley (you’re welcome!), I think the boys and I will release these two into the garden where they can eat carrot tops to their hearts’ content.
Away from my kitchen.
xo Naomi
A new air-wick scent perhaps? You could market it as "Nature fresh" or "Caterpillar cocktail" or maybe even "Eau d'Orange [...antennae]".
ReplyDelete;)
I'm going to call it "Stinky-Cheese-Feet"!! Do you think it will sell?
Delete