Nicholas gave me the silent treatment today. He’s four. I thought I had until he was at least fourteen.
I kept Nicholas home from preschool today. He woke this morning with a barking cough. Great. With all the germs floating around, I’m not surprised. Added to the cough was an all-over case of grouchiness. A minor dispute with his brother over Lego (Ben had a piece Nicholas wanted) resulted in a 20-minute crying jag, followed by a morning nap. Morning nap?! Yes. You heard right. Nicholas hasn’t taken a morning nap since he was about a year-old. Something was definitely up.
A trip to the pediatrician’s yielded nothing…maybe a cold. Maybe. And by the time that we went to the doctor, Nicholas had made a miraculous recovery. So, needing milk and a few other staples, we made a second quick trip out, to the grocery store.
As we stood in line at the check-out, Nicholas asked if we could play when we got home.
“Sorry peanut,” I replied. “It’s quiet time when we get home. We’ll play afterwards.”
“No!” Nicholas answered. “No, no, no, no, NO!!”
The cashier gave me a sympathetic look. She’d obviously been there.
“Nicholas, knock that off or you will lose Moo for quiet-time.” Moo is his lovey.
Nicholas didn’t say another NO. In fact, he barely uttered another word as we made our way out of the store, through the parking lot, and I loaded my few groceries into the van.
I knew exactly what he was up to. The Silent Treatment. Well kiddo, your mommy was the queen of The Silent Treatment, so two can play at this.
I smiled at Nicholas in the rearview mirror as I left the shopping mall, “You okay, Peanut?”
Nothing.
“Nicholas?” I said in a sing-song voice. “How’s my little Nicholas?”
Nothing.
“Are you tired, sweet-pea? Why don’t you close your eyes while I drive us home?”
Nothing.
Kid, you are going to be a real treat when you’re a teenager.
Frankly, if Nicholas wants to be silent I’ll take it. No problem. Nicholas, you be silent for as long as you want. I turned on the radio and sang along to Maroon Five (I really want to love somebody…), which Nicholas might not mind now, but will really embarrass him when he’s a teenager.
Suddenly, a quiet little voice piped-up from the backseat with a big sigh, “Mommy. I just really tired.”
Hmm…I think I’ve used that line.
“You’re tired? Well, when we get home you can go for a nap during quiet time.”
Doesn’t that work out nicely? Cue Evil-Mom laugh: MWA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment