Skip to main content

Thankful

Happy (almost) Thanksgiving everyone! And Happy Hanukkah too!

Tonight, we put the finishing touches on a Thanksgiving apple cake to share with friends. Then, we lit the Menorah and ate matzo ball soup and potato latkes for dinner. How’s that for multicultural? My whole house sells like my Bubbie’s apartment building. It’s a good memory.

What with Thanksgiving and Hanukkah and Christmas right around the corner, there is much to be thankful for. What are you feeling thankful for this year, regardless of whether you are celebrating tomorrow or had your turkey that second Monday of October (I’m looking at you my Canucks!)?

My most thankful thoughts are saved for these three:

DSC03965

Pierre and I are together by pure serendipity. When I am at my most thoughtful, I absolutely marvel at how the stars lined up so perfectly to bring the two of us together. And for how hard we have worked to keep it that way. Above all else, that is what I am most thankful for: Pierre, Benjamin, Nicholas and the life we have together.

I’m also thankful for our family. For the time they take to make us feel a little closer, despite our physical distance. For the help when we need it, for always showing that they are there; that no matter what happens, our boys have a home. For the visits, for the packages (Ben and Nicholas do love those packages) and for the phone calls. Oh, and I am really, really thankful for a great long-distance phone plan.

I’m thankful for the life that we’ve built together in Pennsylvania, for the incredible friends and neighbors who have come into our lives. For knowing that we have a village, a family, a place to raise our boys that we can call our own. I am thankful for my amazing girlfriends. Every woman needs girlfriends as incredible as mine. They are my sounding-boards and sanity-savers, my life-lines and partners-in-mommy-crime. I’m thankful for the friends who live far, who take the time to stay-in-touch, even when life gets crazy.

I’m thankful for all the teachers who have helped my boys to love school. They have no idea of the life-long impact that they have made, and how grateful I am for it.

What else am I thankful for? Hot tea on cold mornings, a glass of wine at the end of the day, fire in our hearth, fuzzy socks, chocolate (who isn’t thankful for chocolate?) and steaming hot baths with a good book. Date nights, snuggles, S’mores, and Brie cheese. I’m thankful for toothless smiles, the Disney Channel on Saturday mornings, and humidity-free days. For watching my boys play with their puppy, amidst the chaos this causes. I’m thankful for the moment that Pierre walks in the door each evening, and for the way I feel after a run (I’ve yet to be thankful during a run). For boots (I do love boots!) and baking and dancing in the kitchen too.

I wish all of you just as much, and more, to be thankful for.

xo Naomi

Comments

  1. There are things I really want to be thankful of. But most of all, I'm thankful for having my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Kate! Family is always number one. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Funny Medicine

So, after blogging about Ben’s ear infection, a good friend messaged me on Facebook with a unique remedy for ear pain. She’s had a ruptured eardrum, so if she says that this works, I’m inclined to believe her. Here’s the message: “If Ben complains about pain, take an onion and mash it as you would a potato. Then, wrap it in something and heat it in the microwave till it’s hot (not hot like I'll burn you if I touch it, but hot). Take it out of the microwave and wrap it in a towel (don't worry you can wash it out after), put it on a pillow and then have Ben put his sore ear on it. When he no longer feels the heat, move a piece of towel away so he is one layer closer to the onion.” What do you think? Neat, eh? My pediatrician recommended a few drops of olive oil in the ear to ease pain. I’ve tried it with Ben, and it seemed to give him some relief. I’m going to try the onion. Why not? It’s an alternative that just might work. And I think that Ben would find it kind of fun to put...

Here we go….

I’ve been wanting to start a blog for a while now. I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about starting it, talking about starting it, tinkering with the layout (and that was hard because I am basically a computer-dummy), and now, writing it. Is anyone actually going to read what I write on here? Maybe. Well….my mom will read it (Hi Mom!). Regardless, I do have a purpose to starting this, and here it is: Deciding to be a mom was one the very best decision that I have ever made (second only to marrying Pierre), and I want to share that. The time spent being home with my boys goes by so fast. Ok….let’s rephrase that….actual days can seem endless (and there are definitely times when I call Pierre at work, and tell him not to dare come home without wine. Or chocolate. Or both!!), but still each day, each week, seems to be going by faster and faster. I blinked and my youngest went from being a baby to turning three years old this coming Tuesday. And the next time I blink he’ll be thirty-three!...

Caterpillars Are Friends

After all the complaining about ticks, I probably should try to show that I am a friend to most creepy-crawlies. So, allow me to introduce to the newest members of our family….five Painted-Lady Butterfly caterpillars.   Nicholas received these little critters for his birthday from our very good friends Kim & Brad, and their three awesome kiddos.  (Kim used to teach preschool…can you tell?). They came as part of a Live Butterfly Garden and Hatching Kit. We ordered our caterpillars online (anyone interested? Check out www.insectlore.com ), and within three days our caterpillars were delivered to our front porch (I wonder what the postman thought of that? Hope he doesn’t mind larvae!). The boys and I followed the directions in the box, which pretty much amounted to leaving the hungry little bugs alone, (Nicholas needs frequent reminders. He likes to turn the jar upside-down. Can caterpillars have heart attacks?), and in a few more days we should have five little chrysalid...