We joined an outdoor community pool this summer, and the boys have been taking swim lessons all week.
I remember teaching swim lessons at an outdoor pool when I was a teenager. There was always that one parent who brought their child to the pool for lessons at the very beginning of the summer, when the water was freezing cold. I’d have to get in, and within minutes the child and I would both have blue lips. I could never understand, as I shivered in the water, why that parent would submit their child (and me!) to icy torture.
This week, I was that parent. No doubt, the water was cold. My usually full-steam-ahead boys stopped short each morning as their little toes made contact with the first drop. But they got in, and they swam. They had a blast with their swim instructor who was sweet and cute and enthusiastic (and made me feel really, really old). Regardless of the cold, Ben and Nicholas had fun. Not once did they say, “I don’t want to go to swim lessons”. In fact, they beat me to the van each morning.
I don’t care if my boys never play competitive sports, but so help me, both will be swimmers. It is too important a skill not to learn how. Water is dangerous. Period. And I want Benjamin and Nicholas to be able to survive if ever they fall in.
Luckily, my boys are water-babies. They spend so much time in the water that they may as well have been born with gills (wonder how that would have looked on an ultrasound?). Benjamin is at the point where, if he fell in, he’d be able to swim and get himself out. He wants to be on the swim team next summer. Nicholas isn’t quite there yet. Give the kid a kick-board, and he is the Flash in the water. Without the kick-board, he swims like he has rocks in his swim-shorts. Pierre and I are both convinced that he can swim, but he’s scared. Letting go of what keeps your head above water is frightening. And that’s okay. Nicholas just needs a little more time.
Holding tight to the side of the pool.
Pierre and I were trying to convince Nicholas that he could let go of his teacher, and blast-off on his own.
“I can’t,” Nicholas replied. “The current in the pool will pull me down.”
Current?
“There’s no current in the pool,” Pierre assured him.
“Yes,” said Nicholas. “There’s a rip-current. It’s going to pull me away.”
Hmmm…we may have gone a little overboard warning the boys about rip-currents in the ocean while in Vero Beach.
“Nicholas, there are no rip-currents in the pool. You can do it. You’ll be okay.”
“There are too many waves in the pool!” Nicholas was quite sure of this.
“Nicholas,” I replied. “The only waves there will be are the ones you make when you kick!”
Nicholas was unconvinced, but the next day he did let go of his swim teacher. Now, he let go where he was sure he could touch the bottom, but baby-steps, right?
Or should I say baby flutter-kicks?
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment