This morning, before I had even had a cup of tea, Benjamin was asking me why the fingers on his hand were all different sizes. I think I mumbled something about how each finger has a job to do, how the different sizes make it easier to grip items and pick things up.
During dinner tonight, I asked Ben to pose his question to Pierre. Being the scientist of the family, I thought Pierre might have a better answer than me. Sure enough, Pierre started to explain to Ben all about opposable thumbs. Ben was listening avidly when he piped-up with a fact of his own:
“Mommy, did you know that Spider monkeys don’t have thumbs?”
“Are you sure Ben?” I said. “I thought all monkeys have thumbs. Maybe we can look that up after dinner.” The only knowledge I have about monkeys concern the two I gave birth to.
Ben was adamant, “Really, spider monkeys don’t have thumbs. It makes it easier for them to brachiate.”
Brachiate???
I looked at Pierre for an explanation. He shrugged.
“Umm brachiate?” I said to Ben. “What does brachiate mean?”
“Swing,” Ben replied simply.
Got it.
We were finishing our dinner when Ben reminded me, “Brachiate, Mommy. You should try to keep that word in your brain. I learned it on Wild Kratts.”
Quite right, Benjamin. And I feel somewhat less guilty about letting the boys watch television in the morning!
In case you were wondering, Merriam-Webster defines brachiate as: to progress by swinging from hold to hold by the arms. And Spider monkeys do not, in fact, have thumbs.
Now you know. Thank you Ben.
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment