Skip to main content

Spring Cleaning

Spring cleaning with kids is pointless.

I have a very low tolerance for clutter in my house. I throw a lot of stuff out. Often. Old receipts – shredded. Broken toys – gone. Newspapers – recycled. Out-grown clothes – donated. Happy Meal crap – garbage (and sometimes recycled if I can). Strollers – sold.

Sometimes, I get a little overzealous with my pitching, and throw away things that I shouldn’t. In my frenzy of cleaning, I have definitely garbaged items that should have been kept. Kids’ passport applications – oops!

Yesterday, I tackled all the stuff that the boys have brought home from school over the past year (and in Ben’s case, three years). I had Tupperware drawers bursting full. Every work of art, piece of paper and worksheet that either kiddo had brought in the house over the course of the school year seemed to have crawled its way into the basement. Some (most) of it had to go.

Look, it isn’t that I don’t love and cherish every piece of paper that the boys put a mark on. Each receives its due enthusiasm (You scribbled all over my grocery list? Hooray!). But, if I were to keep every piece of art or scrap, I would be drowning in paper, glitter and glue.

So, yesterday I put a clothesline up in the basement playroom to hang a few of Benjamin and Nicholas’ favorite pieces, took out a plastic bin to save all my favorites (Mother’s Day cards? Father’s Day cards? Anything with a hand-print? In the box!), and the rest got pitched.

Well, almost.

I had just gotten started when Ben came over to see what I was doing.

“What are the piles for Mommy?” He asked.

“Well,” I replied, pointing to each in turn. “This is my very important pile for everything I love and want to keep. This pile is for all your special artwork that will go up on our clothesline. This pile is for ideas I want to copy if I go back to teaching, and this last pile is going to be recycled.”

Guess which heap Ben made a beeline for?

“Mommy! I love this worksheet on the letter D. You can’t recycle it!”

And so it began…

Soon Nicholas joined his brother, and they ganged-up on my cleaning efforts:

“Mommy! I love my rocket-ship. You can fix the rip with tape!”

“I made that picture of a hurricane (Oh, that’s what it is. My mistake) for Nicholas. You can’t throw it away!”

“My Weekly Readers, I want to keep ALL OF THEM!”

“Mommy, I love my painting-with-marbles picture. Don’t recycle it.”

“Why can’t I keep my….scribble, painting, random worksheet, scrap of torn-paper, brown-bag puppet, ripped-up painting, folded coloring page…” Just fill in the blank. You get the idea.

I finally distracted my two little helpers (and I say that through clenched teeth) by asking them to bring the very important items (read, the ones I wanted to keep) upstairs to the dining-room table. One-by-one. Did those pieces of art need to find their way to the dining-room table? No. The bin I was going to save them in was in the basement. But, I needed to get Ben and Nicholas out of my hair for 30 seconds at a time to throw out more mess.

Next time, I am cleaning the boys’ stuff after they go to bed at night.

DSC03750DSC03754
Our clothesline of artwork.

I saved a few of their absolute favorites (the picture of the hurricane did not make the cut), then discreetly put the rest at the bottom of the recycle pile while neither was looking. I know. I’m a horrible mom for lying to my sons. My dishonesty will probably put them both into therapy. No parenting awards for me. But, honestly the boys are never, EVER going to look for any of those papers again. It has all been sitting in a bin for the last year, unnoticed and collecting dust (and who knows what else). Out of sight, out of mind. They won’t miss it.

Let’s hope not anyway.

Anyone have great suggestions on what to do with all the kids' precious pieces? Share, share, share!

xo Naomi

Comments

  1. Hi naomi, I've heard of people taking pics of each piece, and then putting them into one of those albums you can make online (Photobooks by Snapfish in Australia, surely someone in the US would do them too?)and printing off a hard cover book of artwork. So you CAN keep each item, but in one neat and tidy book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh!! I love that idea! You can do them on Shutterfly and Snapfish here (and in Canada too). What a fun book, and nice & neat & tidy too. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Funny Medicine

So, after blogging about Ben’s ear infection, a good friend messaged me on Facebook with a unique remedy for ear pain. She’s had a ruptured eardrum, so if she says that this works, I’m inclined to believe her. Here’s the message: “If Ben complains about pain, take an onion and mash it as you would a potato. Then, wrap it in something and heat it in the microwave till it’s hot (not hot like I'll burn you if I touch it, but hot). Take it out of the microwave and wrap it in a towel (don't worry you can wash it out after), put it on a pillow and then have Ben put his sore ear on it. When he no longer feels the heat, move a piece of towel away so he is one layer closer to the onion.” What do you think? Neat, eh? My pediatrician recommended a few drops of olive oil in the ear to ease pain. I’ve tried it with Ben, and it seemed to give him some relief. I’m going to try the onion. Why not? It’s an alternative that just might work. And I think that Ben would find it kind of fun to put...

Here we go….

I’ve been wanting to start a blog for a while now. I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about starting it, talking about starting it, tinkering with the layout (and that was hard because I am basically a computer-dummy), and now, writing it. Is anyone actually going to read what I write on here? Maybe. Well….my mom will read it (Hi Mom!). Regardless, I do have a purpose to starting this, and here it is: Deciding to be a mom was one the very best decision that I have ever made (second only to marrying Pierre), and I want to share that. The time spent being home with my boys goes by so fast. Ok….let’s rephrase that….actual days can seem endless (and there are definitely times when I call Pierre at work, and tell him not to dare come home without wine. Or chocolate. Or both!!), but still each day, each week, seems to be going by faster and faster. I blinked and my youngest went from being a baby to turning three years old this coming Tuesday. And the next time I blink he’ll be thirty-three!...

A Brother’s Love

The boys had ice-cream for dessert tonight. In fact, not only did they have ice-cream, they had an ice-cream sundae with whipped cream and strawberries, a special treat as only Grandma can make. Spoiled little bugs. Just as my two sweet-toothed monkeys were about to dig-in, Grandpa, being “the silliest” as Nicholas calls him, pulled a fast one. Taking Nicholas’ bowl of ice-creamy-yumminess, Grandpa said: “Mmmm-mmmm. That’s my ice cream, Nicholas. Thank you!” And he pretended to gobble up the bowl. Nicholas was not impressed. He stuck-out his bottom lip, and gave a somewhat convincing fake cry while burying his little head in his chair. I wouldn’t have awarded him an Oscar for this particular performance, but his point was clear enough: Grandpa had his ice cream, and he wasn’t going to let it be eaten without protest. Now Benjamin, watching all this unfold, had a very different reaction. His big, blue eyes welled up with tears, not of the crocodile variety, his face cru...