Benjamin had his first day of kindergarten today…well, kind of.
The cut-off for kindergarten in our school district is September 1st. Children need to be 5 years old on, or before, this date. While Ben will turn 5 this fall, it won’t be before the start of September. So today, Benjamin started the kindergarten program at his preschool. Next year, he’ll be enrolled in kindergarten in our school district.
Benjamin was ready to start school this morning. I was less ready. The kindergarten program means school five mornings a week. That’s five mornings that Ben isn’t with me. Last year, he went to school three mornings each week. And while I loved his preschool class and especially his preschool teachers (who get Nicholas this year!), I loved our two quiet mornings more. I loved staying in our pajamas and playing Lego, or snuggling on the couch and reading books, or drinking my tea while the boys played. Mornings where we had to rush only if we wanted to. Mornings where I had my boys all to myself.
And believe me, there were definitely times when I was more than ready for both boys to be in school – full-time. Where I was pulling out my hair, and it was only 8:30 a.m. But, in hindsight (and isn’t it always 20/20?), it’s hard to believe that the time of quiet mornings has passed so quickly. I’ll never have those mornings back. Am I depressing you? Sorry. My neighbors are busy sending their kids off to college, others have to work full-time, so being sad over two mornings a week seems a little silly, a little self-indulgent. But, it’s all about the stage of life that you’re in, isn’t it? And letting go of my big boy, even if just for a few hours everyday, is where I’m at right now. And it’s harder than I thought.
He’s ready for kindergarten. Am I ready for him to go?
It wasn’t hard for Benjamin though. He chose his button-down shirt, did an extra-good job brushing his teeth, and had his back-pack on, ready to head out the door. On his way, he said to me:
“Mommy, it’s time for kindergarten now. I have to go learn.”
Yes, you do my biggest-bug. And mommy has to learn to start letting you go.
xo Naomi
I sent off my Ella this morning. I was so sad when she didn't even notice me when I blew her a kiss-she was too excited. You put into words my sentiments exactly. Sigh...
ReplyDeleteLaurelle
Oh Laurelle, I know just how you feel. Ben was out of the car so fast this morning, I thought his pants were on fire. It's bittersweet...I want him to be independent and excited about school, but I also want him to miss me a little. I bet Ben and Ella would get along great!
Deleteits still difficult for me and as you know they are 15 and 8!! I love those lazy days and know exactly how you feel and loved this blog!! :)xo
ReplyDeleteThanks Auntie Reese! Guess we never get used to it, eh? Missing you. xo
Delete