Nicholas started preschool this morning. And if I had ever had any doubts about whether he was ready, I don’t have them anymore.
Sometimes Nicholas can be a barnacle. He likes to play shy. And while I had always thought it was an act, I still wondered how that very first preschool drop-off would go. Really, I had nothing to wonder about. Nicholas walked down the stairs to his class (not holding my hand, sob!), ran into the classroom, and jumped into his teacher’s lap! She greeted him with a huge hug. He was given his name-tag, then he was off, without looking back at me, to explore the class and play. Happiest kid on Earth.
I stayed for about 10 minutes, watching Nicholas and chatting with the other parents. When I figured that it was time for me to go, Nicholas was busy playing cars with a new friend. I walked over to him and said,
“Sweetie? Mommy’s going to go now. I’ll be back soon.”
Nicholas stopped playing, gave me a big kiss (wonder if he’ll do that when he goes to college?) and said, “O.k. Mommy.” Then he immediately went back to his cars, and his new buddy.
Sigh.
It’s bittersweet. Like Ben, I want Nicholas to be independent and love school and be excited to learn. It would have broken my heart more had he clung and cried. But, at the same time, it’s hard to realize that my youngest is growing-up. Five minutes ago he was a baby, learning to walk and talk. Now he’s a big boy: going to school, making new friends, doing things without me. How could he leave me so easily? Maybe, that’s the hardest part. The first apron string has just been cut. Ouch.
And now, the house is very, very quiet. It feels strange. All those times I wished for just a little quiet, just a little me-time…I’m sure that I’m going to grow to love my two kid-less mornings. Imagine all that I’ll be able to get done! Clean the house, do the groceries, make phone calls without interruption, sort through all my old teaching stuff collecting dust in the basement, write that children’s book I’ve been toying with! Endless possibilities. Right now though, the house is just too quiet.
I know. This is my biggest problem in life, so not much to complain about.
Benjamin was just as excited for his brother to start as Nicholas was! He’s spent the last few days telling Nicholas all about preschool: where to find the best toys, what the rules are, and just what to expect. By this morning, Nicholas was already an old pro. Thanks to his big brother!
The boys ready for school this morning.
My two little men…not so little anymore.
Double-sigh.
xo Naomi
awesome again!! So cute that ben was telling nicholas all about the ins and outs!! You"ll do fine!! I to sometimes wish work me time....but when it comes i hate it!! One day i will learn to love it I guess....
ReplyDeletewow frodian slip!?! it was suppose to say me time!!
DeleteI know! When they are being wild, I want "me-time". When the house is quiet, I miss them so much! The time does go by super quickly though.
Delete