I have been wanting to get to this blog for two weeks!
A couple of weekends ago, we went apple picking with some good friends, in fact the very first friends that Pierre and I made when we moved to Pennsylvania. We met at Solebury Orchards on a gorgeous, sunny, perfect September day for a morning of apple picking, complete with a hay ride out to the trees. Oh, and apple cider donuts. The apple cider donuts are not to be missed. The apple cider either.
What a great day! I’m going to let the pictures speak for themselves:
The hayride!
Happy little apple-picker.
The good ones are at the top of the tree!
We followed up apple picking with a picnic in the park. Good friends, apples, donuts and a picnic…what better way to spend a beautiful fall Saturday?
Nicholas ate four apples that day. He was on his last when I snapped this picture:
One minute he was crunching, the next he was sleeping. An hour later, Pierre and I heard crunching again from the backseat. Nicholas had continued his apple-munching where he had left-off before falling asleep!
The next day, the boys and I tackled the apples, making a huge batch of applesauce. I usually make applesauce in the crock-pot, but my parents gave me a Squeezo Strainer a few years ago, so Benjamin, Nicholas and I made the sauce the old-fashioned way. We had a blast!
First we boiled our apples.
Nicholas manned the mallet, while Benjamin turned the crank.
The boys loved that the strainer spat-out the seeds and peels. They called it ‘apple-poop’. Oh, little boys…
We also made apple cake, my absolute favorite. If you are looking for a delicious recipe, try the one below. I made it for my ladies’ night last week, and had a ton of requests for the recipe. And it’s easy to make too!
Cinnamon Apple Cake from myrecipes.com
I just love fall!
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment