Benjamin and Nicholas were playing knights and dragons a few weeks ago. They galloped around the house on make-believe horses, yielding pretend swords, looking for a dragon to vanquish. I was busy making supper when they stampeded, banners flying, into the kitchen.
“Mommy!” Ben cried as he ran by the counter where I was chopping vegetables, “We’re brave knights searching for a dragon. You can be the princess. You look like a beautiful princess!”
Ahh. My heart melted. Extra dessert for Benjamin. Every mommy wants to be her son’s beautiful princess.
Nicholas skidded to a halt. He regarded me in my jeans and sweater, hair in a messy ponytail and replied with four-year-old honesty, “I wish you looked like a beautiful princess.”
Ouch.
“Nicholas,” I told him in no uncertain terms, “Mommy is always a beautiful princess to you. Got it?”
Nicholas gave me a sheepish grin before galloping away. He’d better watch it, or I’ll show him a dragon.
My boys say some pretty funny, and sweet, stuff sometimes. This little story inspired me to go through some of my past Facebook updates to see what other forgotten gems I could find. And find them, I did.
Funny kid.
Read on and enjoy! I sure did.
From December, 2013:
Me to Ben: Would you like to put on some Christmas music?
Ben to me: No thanks. I like the peace and quiet.
From October, 2013:
While doing his homework, Nicholas: "Mommy, tracing my name three times is exhausting!!" Poor kid.
From July, 2013:
Ben: "Mommy, could I have two hydrogens and one oxygen please?" I'm blaming this one on Pierre.
From March, 2013:
Best way to start the day: Nicholas crawled into bed with me this morning to snuggle, and said, "Mommy, you're my best girl!"
From February, 2013:
Ben: "Mommy, my head hurts. Inside my head. I think my neurons are going too fast."
From November, 2012:
Ben: "Mommy, when the boys don't want the girls to play with us at school, we send them to the kitchen." Excuse me??!!! Guess who's getting a cookbook and apron for Christmas.
From April, 2012:
I sent Nicholas on a treasure hunt, and asked him to find me something French. He pointed to Pierre!!
Ben: "Mommy, when did you get your haircut?" Me: "Yesterday". Ben: "Oh. So, Mommy? When is it going to start looking messy again?". Uh.....thanks a lot kid!
From January, 2012:
Me: "Nicholas, which shape would you like your sandwich cut into: square, triangle, or rectangle?" Nicholas: "I want a rhombus!" Geez.
From November, 2011:
Ben: "Mommy, someday when I grow up, can I be a teacher?" Me: "Sure Ben. You can be a teacher. I'm a teacher." Ben: "But Mommy, I want to be a REAL teacher."
Me (completely exasperated!): "Benjamin, why are you being so naughty this morning?" Ben: "Because I have socks on."
From April, 2011:
Pierre: "Ben, you need to go to bed so that you can have big muscles like Papa". Ben: "Papa, that will be a very long sleep!".
From June, 2011:
Conversation with Ben...."Mommy, I'm going to Auntie Jenn's wedding soon?" "Yes, Ben, you are.” "Mommy? Will Uncle Jordan (the groom) be there too?" Ha! He'd better be.
From April, 2011:
Ben watched the Royal Wedding with me and when Will kissed Kate, Ben said, "Mommy, did she wake-up?"
From March, 2011:
Ben (while giving me a big hug): "Mommy, I'm still going to give you squeezes when I'm a teenager."
I haven’t been blogging a whole lot. Not because the boys aren’t doing funny, sweet, amazing, inspiring things (they are!), but because life has taken on a frantic, hectic pace lately that leaves little time for writing. On nights when I’m not writing a paper, I’m too darn tired to open my computer. And not blogging has been stressing me out. A lot. I’m more than aware of how quiet my blog has been. Reading all the little moments shared above reminds me that I started writing, not to be stressed or dead-lined, but to record all the wonderful (and sometimes not so wonderful) things that the boys do that I don’t ever want to forget. The craziness of life, as of late, makes me realize all the more how much I need to write it all down.
Does that mean that I’ll be blogging more. Maybe. I always have the best of intentions. But, it does mean that I’m going to make a renewed effort to stop and enjoy more. Ben still gives me squeezes (even though he’s not a teenager yet), and I’m Nicholas’ best girl (even if he thinks I don’t look like a princess). That’s worth stopping for.
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment