During our visit Uncle Cooker-Chef’s restaurant in Montreal a few weeks ago, another adventure was had: Benjamin and Nicholas traveled on the commuter train and metro into downtown. Never, in the history of life, have two kids been more excited about taking public transport!
Both my parents and Pierre’s dad live close to the commuter train. Benjamin and Nicholas have seen it go for years, with each visit at Christmas and during the summer. This past December the begging to take the train rose to Richter-scale proportions. Now, standing out on a train platform in the middle of winter is not my idea of a fun time. So, as a compromise, Pierre and I promised the boys that, come the summer, we would take the train for a visit with Uncle Cooker-Chef. I’ve learned to never make a promise that I can’t keep. My bugs never, ever forget.
My mom and Pierre’s dad joined us as we made our way downtown, first by train – a double-decker (thank goodness for small miracles), then by metro. Every adventure is made better when you add grandparents. Benjamin and Nicholas loved the train, in all its rumbling, swaying glory. I’m not even sure that love is a strong enough word. There really as no words to convey how small boys feel about big, loud, dirty machinery (just wait until I blog about Grandpa’s backhoe!). My conductors loved sitting in the backward-facing seats, pointing out all the sights as the train rolled along its tracks.
But, the train was small potatoes as compared to the metro. A train that goes underground? Fast? FOR REAL?! NO WAY!!Now, I don’t know about you, but I despise the metro. I have metro-phobia. During my four-years at McGill I avoided the metro with every fiber of my being, preferring to make the (six block? seven block?) walk up and down Peel Street to and from Windsor Station everyday. Even in the middle of a Montreal January. For me, freezing each and very extremity on my body was preferable to braving the metro. My avoidance of the metro was so extreme that it was by complete and utter chance that Pierre and I ran into each other in the Vendome Station more than 12 years ago leading to, well, all of this.
Benjamin and Nicholas do not share my dislike of the metro. More big, loud, dirty – very dirty – machinery? Little boy bliss.
Now, I’ll (begrudgingly) admit that the metro system is a pretty ingenious way to move loads of people around the city, quickly. That doesn’t mean I have to like it. The boys like it more than enough for me.
We rounded-off the trip with a walk under the highway back to home.
Benjamin and Nicholas looked for Grandpa’s trolls. None were found. Whew.
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment