Guess who just got stung by a wasp – again? Do you even need to guess? I didn’t think so.
Benjamin and Nicholas had yogurt drinks during lunch. The containers are plastic, so I sent both boys out to recycle their containers. Our recycling bin sits a foot away from our kitchen door. Benjamin recycled and returned without incident. Nicholas was not so lucky. Within thirty seconds of setting foot outside, I heard him start to scream:
“Something stung me!! Something stung me!!” He was clutching his left arm almost at the shoulder.
“Did you get stung again?” I grabbed Nicholas by the elbows, and hauled him into the house. Only then did I notice the wasp climbing up Nicholas’ arm under the cuff of his sleeve. Said wasp was quickly knocked to the ground, and forfeited its life. Sorry bug-lovers, it was a knee-jerk reaction. You sting my kid, you get squished.
In the meantime, Nicholas managed to explain, though tears, “Mommy. I didn’t touch the wasp this time. It just stung me. I didn’t even see it!”
Poor kiddo. Let’s hope he doesn’t develop a serious fear of wasps.
We cuddled on the couch with an ice-pack while Nicholas explained to me about his sting, and how much it hurt. He’s decided that it is better to get stung on the finger, instead of the arm, because finger-stings hurt less. Geez. Nicholas has been stung so many times that he can compare the merits of one type of sting over another. At least he’s being scientific about it.
My little wasp-magnet is now having some Benadryl-induced quiet time.
Last summer, it was ticks. This summer, it’s wasps. I’m not sure which I prefer.
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment