I’ve called Nicholas my little Nichol-Bug since his birth. Turns out that it is a pretty apt nickname for my youngest.
Nicholas is a bug is an whole lot of ways, but I’m discovering that he loves bugs a whole lot too. All bugs. Moths, butterflies, dragonflies, Nicholas does not discriminate. He’ll make friends with ants and earwigs equally. He loves to catch fireflies. All insects must be saved, not squished, when they venture into our home. He likes spiders and honeybees, and even wasps. Yes, wasps.
Unfortunately, wasps don’t like Nicholas as much as he likes them. Today, he was stung for the fourth-time. Or maybe it was the fifth-time. I’ve lost count, but I keep the Benadryl stocked.
We were outside before dinner, cleaning up the flower beds, when Nicholas started to scream that he had been stung. He held out his index finger. Sure enough, it was starting to swell. The offending wasp was twitching on a lily-bud.
“What happened?” I asked as I carried Nicholas inside for some first-aid.
“The wasp stung me when I tried to touch him!” He gasped through tears.
“Why on Earth did you try to touch a wasp?” I asked, wondering what had possessed him to do such a thing. I soon had my answer.
“I wanted to see if he was a nice bug,” Nicholas explained as I placed his finger under the kitchen tap. “But, he stung me! He’s not a nice bug!”
Nicholas and I had a chat about how the wasps aren’t really not nice, how the wasp was scared and trying to protect itself, that Nicholas would probably do the same if he was a wasp…
Lesson learned? We’ll see.
Yep. He’s a bug.
The wasp survived, but not all of Nicholas’ bug-buddies are so lucky. While camping with my parents last weekend, Nicholas was being washed for bed by Grandma, when he started to play with something on the shower floor. Trying to wash his hair, my mom asked Nicholas what he was doing.
“There’s a bug on the floor,” Nicholas said.
“Well, leave it alone,” Grandma told him. Bugs in the shower are nothing to hardy campers.
Nicholas protested “But Grandma, I’m trying to save its life!” Then, a few seconds later, “Uh-oh…”
“What happened?” Grandma wanted to know.
Nicholas wailed, “I cut the bug in half!”
Not the most successful rescue mission after all.
In his defense, Nicholas later explained that the bug just wasn’t very solide (solid in French).
Until the next sting…
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment