Skip to main content

Christmas 2012

Homeward bound. We’re driving south on the I-81 as I write this. Or rather, Pierre is driving…

We just spent the last 12 days in Montréal. It was a great visit. Family, friends, fun and relaxation. And apart from feeling under-the-weather for a day or so (nothing that some cold meds and a good, long nap didn’t fix), we had a blast. Here’s a run-down of some of the highlights of our trip, in no particular order (I’ll write ‘em as I think of them!):

  • Christmas Eve with the Morissette family and extended loved-ones. The boys helped play Santa Claus by handing out presents, we had a delicious dinner with everyone contributing a different course (I made beet soup, thank you to my brother Chef Kevin for the recipe), and we spent the better part of the evening tracking Santa on Norad's Santa Tracker.
  • Christmas Day with the Barrett Clan. We more or less ate our way through the day, starting with a huge brunch and ending with turkey dinner. Probably the best turkey I’ve ever eaten. We gobble-gobbled it up! In between all the eating, there was a whole lot of present opening. I’m pretty sure that three-quarters of the gifts were for Benjamin and Nicholas. Our mini-van is packed to the ceiling.
  • The Montréal Biodome with Grand-Papa. We ventured out on Boxing Day, and had so much fun exploring this treasure at the Olympic Village. The boys loved the penguins the best. Pierre’s dad and I were fascinated by the diving ducks. And the playground at the end of our tour kept the boys busy for a solid hour.

DSC02641
With Bobo Le Perroquet at the Biodome.

  • The snowstorm of the century! 18 inches (yes, inches!!) in about ten hours. Now that is a whole lot of snow.

DSC02648
The view out Grand-Papa’s front door during the storm.

  • Date night!! For the past several years, my parents send Pierre and me on a date night in the Old Port of Montréal, and watch the kids too. Benjamin and Nicholas love it because they get spoiled rotten by Grandma and Grandpa, complete with a trip to Donald-Mcs….that’s McDonalds, where you get to each your dessert before your meal (Benjamin even made a new friend during dinner…a little boy who spoke only French. Ben spoke to him without any trouble at all!). Pierre and I love it because we get some much appreciated adult time. We stayed at The Auberge du Vieux-Port, ate poutine, explored the Old Port, and had a romantic dinner out. Thanks Grandma & Grandpa! Ben and Nicholas already want to know when our next date night is!
  • Lunch at Deville Dinerbar. Kevin is the chef at this trendy upscale diner on Stanley, just above Ste-Catherine Street in downtown Montréal. The food was so, so good. And I’m not being biased. Promise! I ate the most delicious ahi-tuna salad, and Pierre had beef ribs that literally fell-off the bone. Oh, and I am now addicted to Deville’s French fries. The staff was friendly, and the service was top-notch too. No shameless plug here: if you are in Montréal, you need to go have a meal at Deville. Ask for Chef Kevin!!
  • Learning all about trolls with Grandpa. Did you know that trolls have two noses? All the better to smell out cookies!
  • Sledding! My dad and Pierre built-up a sledding hill in my parents’ backyard for the boys. Benjamin named it Candy Cane Mountain. This led to hours of fun with the new sleds that Santa left under the tree. Each night, Grandpa and Papa iced-up the run for a faster ride down the slope. New Year’s Eve saw the boys up until almost 10:00 p.m. sledding down their hill. Grandpa even made ice lanterns to light their way. A true Canadian way to ring-in the New Year!

DSC02700
Nicholas and Benjamin on the two-man luge!

DSC02692
Pure sledding joy!!

DSC02705
Grandpa’s ice lantern.

  • New Year’s Day dinner with the family…perfect way to start the year.

We did a whole lot of visiting, and would have done even more if I hadn’t come down with a bit of a bug. Benjamin and Nicholas even had a pre-Christmas playdate with a new friend who was kind enough to share all his toys. Meeting new friends is so fun! And seeing old friends is always sweet. Thank you to our gracious hosts!

We’re about an hour away from home now. Until the next visit Montréal…

Happy New Year everyone! Here’s wishing you much health, happiness and love in 2013.

xo Naomi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Funny Medicine

So, after blogging about Ben’s ear infection, a good friend messaged me on Facebook with a unique remedy for ear pain. She’s had a ruptured eardrum, so if she says that this works, I’m inclined to believe her. Here’s the message: “If Ben complains about pain, take an onion and mash it as you would a potato. Then, wrap it in something and heat it in the microwave till it’s hot (not hot like I'll burn you if I touch it, but hot). Take it out of the microwave and wrap it in a towel (don't worry you can wash it out after), put it on a pillow and then have Ben put his sore ear on it. When he no longer feels the heat, move a piece of towel away so he is one layer closer to the onion.” What do you think? Neat, eh? My pediatrician recommended a few drops of olive oil in the ear to ease pain. I’ve tried it with Ben, and it seemed to give him some relief. I’m going to try the onion. Why not? It’s an alternative that just might work. And I think that Ben would find it kind of fun to put...

Here we go….

I’ve been wanting to start a blog for a while now. I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about starting it, talking about starting it, tinkering with the layout (and that was hard because I am basically a computer-dummy), and now, writing it. Is anyone actually going to read what I write on here? Maybe. Well….my mom will read it (Hi Mom!). Regardless, I do have a purpose to starting this, and here it is: Deciding to be a mom was one the very best decision that I have ever made (second only to marrying Pierre), and I want to share that. The time spent being home with my boys goes by so fast. Ok….let’s rephrase that….actual days can seem endless (and there are definitely times when I call Pierre at work, and tell him not to dare come home without wine. Or chocolate. Or both!!), but still each day, each week, seems to be going by faster and faster. I blinked and my youngest went from being a baby to turning three years old this coming Tuesday. And the next time I blink he’ll be thirty-three!...

Caterpillars Are Friends

After all the complaining about ticks, I probably should try to show that I am a friend to most creepy-crawlies. So, allow me to introduce to the newest members of our family….five Painted-Lady Butterfly caterpillars.   Nicholas received these little critters for his birthday from our very good friends Kim & Brad, and their three awesome kiddos.  (Kim used to teach preschool…can you tell?). They came as part of a Live Butterfly Garden and Hatching Kit. We ordered our caterpillars online (anyone interested? Check out www.insectlore.com ), and within three days our caterpillars were delivered to our front porch (I wonder what the postman thought of that? Hope he doesn’t mind larvae!). The boys and I followed the directions in the box, which pretty much amounted to leaving the hungry little bugs alone, (Nicholas needs frequent reminders. He likes to turn the jar upside-down. Can caterpillars have heart attacks?), and in a few more days we should have five little chrysalid...