Skip to main content

A Happy Mother’s Day

Happy (belated) Mother’s Day everyone! Hoping that all the wonderful mommies that I know had a fantastic weekend doing all that their hearts’ desired (and were a little spoiled while doing it!).

My Mother’s Day weekend was pretty low-key, and that was just fine by me. Were the boys complete angels all weekend? Absolutely not. In fact, Benjamin decided that this weekend would be the one where he tested his limits to the max (and Nicholas wasn’t far behind). Ugh. Grey hair #4562. The time-out corner saw a lot of action. ‘Nuff said.

So obviously my little monsters didn’t know the golden-rule about being exceptionally good on Mother’s Day. Hmm….gotta work on that for next year. BUT, this blog is all about being grateful for the little moments in life with my boys. So, here are all those little moments that made Mother’s Day weekend so special (regardless of the time-outs!):

  • Date night with Pierre! Ok, so this isn’t technically a moment with my little boys, but it is one with my big guy, (and isn’t he at least half of the reason for the little guys?). We had sushi and dessert, and best of all, uninterrupted conversation! And the boys had a ton of fun with our awesome sitter. A definite win-win.

DSC00566

  • Planting the flower and herb garden with the boys. Nicholas was content to just dig in the dirt. Give the kid a shovel, and he is one happy boy (takes after his Grandpa). Benjamin was all about the planting. He dug, he sowed, and he even sang while doing it (“Inch-by-Inch, Row-By-Row, Gonna make this Garden Grow”!). And the cutest part? Ben talked to each plant as he put them in the earth….”Here’s your new home little baby impatient….” Cute, eh? I think the plants liked it. I sure did!

P5110011

P5110013
  • Feeding the ducks. For the past several years, a pair of mallards make an appearance on our front lawn each spring. Our neighbor dubbed them Donald and Daisy, and the pair wander between our house and his, mooching bread. The boys love it! And Ben does a wicked Donald Duck impersonation.

DSC00525

  • Ben and Nicholas called my mom to wish her a Happy Mother’s Day, and Ben sang Skin-a-Marink-a-Dink to her, pointing to the phone on the “I love youuuuuuuuu.” Cue the ahhhhhhhs.

 

  • And finally, on Sunday we visited a local state park for a picnic.  The weather was gorgeous, we played in the park, threw rocks in the lake (a definite highlight in boy-world), fed a family of Canada geese (do they count as fellow Canucks?), and visited an old-fashioned, iron-forging town where the boys watched sheep being sheered. And the day ended with a glass of wine on the back deck. Not bad, eh?

DSC00555

So, low-key weekend. No diamonds, no dozen roses, no grandiose gestures….but, who needs ‘em? I’ll take all the little moments instead, time-outs included.

xo Naomi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Funny Medicine

So, after blogging about Ben’s ear infection, a good friend messaged me on Facebook with a unique remedy for ear pain. She’s had a ruptured eardrum, so if she says that this works, I’m inclined to believe her. Here’s the message: “If Ben complains about pain, take an onion and mash it as you would a potato. Then, wrap it in something and heat it in the microwave till it’s hot (not hot like I'll burn you if I touch it, but hot). Take it out of the microwave and wrap it in a towel (don't worry you can wash it out after), put it on a pillow and then have Ben put his sore ear on it. When he no longer feels the heat, move a piece of towel away so he is one layer closer to the onion.” What do you think? Neat, eh? My pediatrician recommended a few drops of olive oil in the ear to ease pain. I’ve tried it with Ben, and it seemed to give him some relief. I’m going to try the onion. Why not? It’s an alternative that just might work. And I think that Ben would find it kind of fun to put...

Here we go….

I’ve been wanting to start a blog for a while now. I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about starting it, talking about starting it, tinkering with the layout (and that was hard because I am basically a computer-dummy), and now, writing it. Is anyone actually going to read what I write on here? Maybe. Well….my mom will read it (Hi Mom!). Regardless, I do have a purpose to starting this, and here it is: Deciding to be a mom was one the very best decision that I have ever made (second only to marrying Pierre), and I want to share that. The time spent being home with my boys goes by so fast. Ok….let’s rephrase that….actual days can seem endless (and there are definitely times when I call Pierre at work, and tell him not to dare come home without wine. Or chocolate. Or both!!), but still each day, each week, seems to be going by faster and faster. I blinked and my youngest went from being a baby to turning three years old this coming Tuesday. And the next time I blink he’ll be thirty-three!...

Caterpillars Are Friends

After all the complaining about ticks, I probably should try to show that I am a friend to most creepy-crawlies. So, allow me to introduce to the newest members of our family….five Painted-Lady Butterfly caterpillars.   Nicholas received these little critters for his birthday from our very good friends Kim & Brad, and their three awesome kiddos.  (Kim used to teach preschool…can you tell?). They came as part of a Live Butterfly Garden and Hatching Kit. We ordered our caterpillars online (anyone interested? Check out www.insectlore.com ), and within three days our caterpillars were delivered to our front porch (I wonder what the postman thought of that? Hope he doesn’t mind larvae!). The boys and I followed the directions in the box, which pretty much amounted to leaving the hungry little bugs alone, (Nicholas needs frequent reminders. He likes to turn the jar upside-down. Can caterpillars have heart attacks?), and in a few more days we should have five little chrysalid...