I may have created two little monsters…
No, I’m not talking about my boys. These are monsters of the feathery kind…ducks! Donald and Daisy, our resident Mallards. And when I say resident, I’m not kidding around. I think these two are ready to move in.
Yesterday, after nap, Nicholas was at the top of the stairs yelling, “Donald and Daisy are at the front door! Donald and Daisy are at the front door!” Huh?
Pierre and I rushed to the front door to see what on this green earth Nicholas was hollering about. Turns out, he was right. Donald and Daisy were, in fact, on our front porch patiently waiting at the door for their daily ration of bread. Now, these two moocher-mallards show up in our yard at least once daily looking for a handout. Multi-grain bread is their favorite. I know their favorite kind of bread…that is how often this web-footed pair come for dinner.
Cute, eh? Not so much.
Here’s the real problem. With Donald and Daisy showing up as often as they do, I thought it best to do a little research on feeding ducks. Turns out, feeding wild ducks human food, especially bread, is really, really bad for them, and for us too. If you’re interested in learning more, check out this fantastic link:
http://www.duckrescuenetwork.org/duck_care.html
I also consulted my sister, our family duck expert. Sorry Donald and Daisy, Auntie Jenn says no more bread. (That’s Jenn below, conducting research with a male Surf Scoter off the coast of Puget Sound, WA).
Now, weaning Donald and Daisy is going to be hard (and I thought my weaning days were over!). The boys’ feathery friends have been showing up in our neighborhood for years. In fact, they’ve lived here longer than we have. And Ben has really been honing his throwing skills with all the handouts. BUT, for their health and ours, their daily bread is done. Hope they like a low-carb diet.
xo Naomi
It's for the best! But if cutting them off cold turkey is difficult, you could always start by giving them duck feed instead; or if your neighborhood animal/farm place doesn't sell duck pellets, then try things like cracked corn, oats, barley - basically things as close to their natural diet as possible. They also eat invertebrates, esp. in the spring!
ReplyDeleteMaybe leaving these items near the stream in your backyard might start to teach them that they can find food in "nature" rather than at your front door. I imagine other folks in the neighborhood feed them too, so doing this might also deter them from just seeking food (and perhaps filling up on junk) at other vending machines of the human and toddler variety. You'll be helping them in the long-run! :)
Great post!
Quack, quack!
JBW
Great ideas!! I didn't think we'd be able to go cold turkey (or cold duck!!), so weaning them with something healthy is a great idea. And I love the idea of leaving food by the creek! xo
ReplyDelete