Skip to main content

The Importance of Self-Care


Let's talk for a minute about self-care.


Now, I know what you’re thinking…“There's a pandemic going on. I'm helping my kids with online academics. I'm working from home. I'm checking in on family and friends and neighbors. I'm cleaning my house, wiping down packages and making sure everyone washes their hands all the time. With everything on my plate right now, who has time for self-care?” Yep. You've probably got a kid hanging off your leg or talking in your ear as you balance a Zoom meeting with trying to finish a project, all while someone in the house is asking what's for dinner, you're thinking about the pile of laundry accumulating in the basket, and the dog is barking at a squirrel that dared to cross the lawn. And that's all before you've looked at the latest news report or checked out social media.


Whew!


I hear you, I do. But, with all that's going on, self-care care is all the more necessary. It really is, and here's why:




I know you're probably heard this before, but there are no truer words, so pay attention: If you're over-wrought and worn-out and just plain exhausted then you're not going to have it in you to clean that plate. Trust me.  Self-care isn't selfish. You need it, you deserve it, and you've got to make time for it. You need to take a break.


Practicing self-care has been shown to increase physical, emotional and mental health. It boosts positive feelings; helps us to become more resilient; and, increases our ability to cope with all that life throws our way - which is especially important right now. Self-care decreases stress and promotes positive sleep habits. When we make time to put ourselves first, we increase our self-confidence and self-worth. All of this helps us to create a better work-life balance (and yes, parenting is work!); be more productive in our daily endeavors; and, ultimately, be better caregivers. 


The best news? It’s easy to start! First, make time for yourself (really, make time for yourself!). I say make and not find because if you wait to find the time for self-care, then chances are it's just not gonna happen. Schedule it in! Add it to your to-do list if you have to and put it on your schedule in-between Zoom meeting, during a break from the computer, mid-afternoon, before dinner or right after the kids go to bed. Whenever it works for you. Prioritize your self-care. If you don't, no one else will. 


Hopefully, I've convinced you that you need it, but how to get started? I've got you covered! In addition to eating healthy and getting enough sleep,  try one or more of these easy ideas:
  • Get active - go for a walk, run or try a workout video.  Websites such as https://www.fitnessblender.com/ offer a large variety of free workouts while EveryDay Healthy has a round-up of free 30-minute online workouts and Make Your Body Work has 50 free videos.
  • Pamper yourself - take a bubble bath, give yourself a manicure or pedicure, or light your favorite candle or diffuser and breathe deep. Or combine a bunch of these for spa time at home!
  • Make time for mindfulness - mindfulness is all about being present in the moment. Try this simple grounding activity to focus on your surroundings: Name 5 things you can see, 5 things you can hear, 5 things you can smell. Now, name 4 things you can see, 4 things you can hear, 4 things you can smell...3 things...2 things...1 thing…Check-in with yourself afterward. How do you feel? Apps including Insight Timer, Calm and Headspace can get you started, or click on Mindful.org for a healthy mind and healthy life.
  • Channel your inner yogi - yoga can help to reduce stress, increase your heart health and fight depression. Try Yoga with Adriene for practice at all levels. 
  • Practice a hobby - knit, do a jigsaw puzzle, journal, binge your favorite show, woodwork, read, cook, bake (my fav!), color or doodle...the possibilities are endless. Connect with family and friends - talk with a loved one, but be mindful to connect with someone who will fill, not drain, your bucket.  
  • Get outside - a little sunshine is a known mood booster. Don’t forget your sunscreen.
  • Play with a pet - our furry family members provide unconditional love and can help to alleviate feelings of loneliness. Better yet, combine exercise with your pet to make you both happy!
  • Have a drink - of tea or coffee that is! Brew your favorite cup and take a moment to close your eyes, inhale deeply, and enjoy that first sip. Curl up on the couch with a cuppa and your favorite book for some important TLC.
There are so many ways to be good to yourself. I'm committing to a 30-day yoga challenge. I know that yoga makes me feel better, body and mind, so (especially right now), I need to do more of it.

What is your go-to self-care routine? Share in the comments below or on Facebook to inspire others.  


Take care of yourself.

xo Naomi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Funny Medicine

So, after blogging about Ben’s ear infection, a good friend messaged me on Facebook with a unique remedy for ear pain. She’s had a ruptured eardrum, so if she says that this works, I’m inclined to believe her. Here’s the message: “If Ben complains about pain, take an onion and mash it as you would a potato. Then, wrap it in something and heat it in the microwave till it’s hot (not hot like I'll burn you if I touch it, but hot). Take it out of the microwave and wrap it in a towel (don't worry you can wash it out after), put it on a pillow and then have Ben put his sore ear on it. When he no longer feels the heat, move a piece of towel away so he is one layer closer to the onion.” What do you think? Neat, eh? My pediatrician recommended a few drops of olive oil in the ear to ease pain. I’ve tried it with Ben, and it seemed to give him some relief. I’m going to try the onion. Why not? It’s an alternative that just might work. And I think that Ben would find it kind of fun to put...

Here we go….

I’ve been wanting to start a blog for a while now. I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about starting it, talking about starting it, tinkering with the layout (and that was hard because I am basically a computer-dummy), and now, writing it. Is anyone actually going to read what I write on here? Maybe. Well….my mom will read it (Hi Mom!). Regardless, I do have a purpose to starting this, and here it is: Deciding to be a mom was one the very best decision that I have ever made (second only to marrying Pierre), and I want to share that. The time spent being home with my boys goes by so fast. Ok….let’s rephrase that….actual days can seem endless (and there are definitely times when I call Pierre at work, and tell him not to dare come home without wine. Or chocolate. Or both!!), but still each day, each week, seems to be going by faster and faster. I blinked and my youngest went from being a baby to turning three years old this coming Tuesday. And the next time I blink he’ll be thirty-three!...

Caterpillars Are Friends

After all the complaining about ticks, I probably should try to show that I am a friend to most creepy-crawlies. So, allow me to introduce to the newest members of our family….five Painted-Lady Butterfly caterpillars.   Nicholas received these little critters for his birthday from our very good friends Kim & Brad, and their three awesome kiddos.  (Kim used to teach preschool…can you tell?). They came as part of a Live Butterfly Garden and Hatching Kit. We ordered our caterpillars online (anyone interested? Check out www.insectlore.com ), and within three days our caterpillars were delivered to our front porch (I wonder what the postman thought of that? Hope he doesn’t mind larvae!). The boys and I followed the directions in the box, which pretty much amounted to leaving the hungry little bugs alone, (Nicholas needs frequent reminders. He likes to turn the jar upside-down. Can caterpillars have heart attacks?), and in a few more days we should have five little chrysalid...