A long time ago (in a galaxy not so far away)...
In 2015, I wrote about my sons being stuck in an elevator at the orthodontist's office. At the time Ben was eight, Nicholas was seven, and I was plowing through a graduate certification in school psychology. Since then, my boys have grown - Ben is taller than me now and has flippers for feet, Nicholas is almost done with elementary school, and I finished that certification and have returned to work full-time. Oh, and the orthodontist's office placed a sign on the elevator door advising that children must be accompanied by an adult when riding. Yep. That's our legacy - no child shall ride alone.
I've thought off-and-on about writing again, but you know how it is - something always gets in the way. And by something, I mean driving the boys to and from their many activities (I'm looking at you, middle school musical). Oh, and keeping the fridge and cupboards stocked for my human locusts. I am pretty sure that Ben is a walking stomach with a sense of humor.
Events today have called me back to this page.
As all of you know, schools in Montgomery County, PA will be closed over the next two weeks in response to COVID-19. The closure also extends to universities, entertainment venues, gyms, community centers, and non-essential retail. For more information, check out this link from Governor Wolf's office:
Concern over the virus, as well as all the associated unknowns, can create significant anxiety for children and adults alike. And having kids home for the next two weeks can be...well...let's just say the line-up at the Wine and Spirits Store this evening was looonnnnggggg (and yes, I was there. Don't judge)! For families who rely on hourly wages, childcare, and help with meals, this break is downright scary.
So, that brings me back to this page. I need to do something as we all sit at home.
Over the next few weeks, I'd like to use this space to share resources, ideas and hopefully a few laughs as we all navigate this new world together. To get started, I've posted a few helpful sites below with advice on talking to kids, from our littles to biggies, about COVID-19. The first link, from the National Association of School Psychologists, is also being used by the CDC:
This video is a fabulous and quick resource to get you started (especially if you'd rather watch than read):
Hopefully, in these links, you will find helpful tips for talking with your children in a way that is calm, reassuring and developmentally appropriate.
Check back soon for ways to keep the young'uns occupied while school is out. In the meantime, take a deep breath and go wash your hands.
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment