That title says it all, doesn’t it? A simple, easy recipe that combines three of my very favorite foods.
Benjamin and I made these deliciously sweet little gems this past weekend. And I needed a sweet treat. Somehow, I ended up with poison ivy down both arms. Ever had poison ivy? It’s not any fun. I thought that I was immune to it – you’re either allergic or you’re not, right? Needless to say, I’m not. I’m pretty sure that I was attacked (and yes, attacked works here!) while gardening. This is ironic because my garden has done terribly this summer. My black thumb can’t grow tomatoes or radishes, but it can grow poison ivy. I have the bumps to prove it. Awesome.
If you’ve never had poison ivy, you can’t fully comprehend the extent of the itch. It makes you feel miserable. And mine was a very, very mild case. Pierre is a poison ivy magnet. He’ll get more spots on one toe than I had on both arms. I realized this weekend that I haven’t given him enough sympathy when he suffers from contact with the vicious little three-leafed bugger. I get it now, in more ways than one.
In any case, I was a poison-ivy-induced grouch. With a capital G. I’m sure that Pierre could think up more colorful words to describe me, but this is a family blog.
What to do with the grouchies? Feed them chocolate!
Chocolate and peanut butter covered bananas. Is there a more mouth-watering mouthful? Ben and I had a blast putting these together for our Sunday evening dessert. And it’s a fun and easy treat to make with the kids.
Here’s how:
First, you’ll need two or three bananas, peanut butter (we used crunchy, but smooth would work just fine) and some chocolate. Ben and I used a mixture of semi-sweet baking squares and dark chocolate chips, because it’s what I had on hand.
Prepare a baking sheet lined with wax paper and set aside.
Next, cut the bananas into wide slices, about 6 or 8 per banana. Bananas are soft, so Ben used a butter knife.
Then, melt the peanut butter and chocolate together in the microwave, for about a minute. This is the grown-up part of the project – the bowl gets hot! Once melted, stir your mixture until smooth.
Then, dip each slice of banana in the mixture until completely covered in chocolate-peanut-buttery goodness. Place slices on wax paper lined cookie sheet.
Finally, add toppings. Only if you want to. Ben and I used some coconut, because coconut is delicious.
And done! Place your banana slices in the freezer for at least an hour until the chocolate hardens. Leave them longer if you want the banana to freeze.
Enjoy!! These are so tasty, and I’d like to think that they aren’t so bad for you either, as far as desserts go. One or two pieces is more than enough to satisfy a sweet tooth.
Benjamin and Nicholas loved them! And a couple of bites chased my grouchies away.
Here’s the recipe:
Chocolate and Peanut Butter Covered Bananas
Ingredients (these are all approximations):
- 2-3 bananas
- 1/2-3/4 cup of peanut butter (smooth or crunchy, your choice)
- 1/2-3/4 cup chocolate (dark, milk, semi-sweet – you choose!)
- Toppings – coconut, peanuts, nuts, M&Ms etc…
Directions:
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Set aside.
- Slice bananas into wide pieces, about 6-8 per banana.
- Melt peanut butter and chocolate in a microwave-safe dish for approximately one minute on high.
- Stir mixture until smooth. Be careful when removing from microwave. The bowl will be hot!
- Dip bananas into mixture until completely covered. Place on cookie sheet.
- Add toppings as desired.
- Place in freezer for at least one hour until chocolate mixture hardens.
- Enjoy!
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment