I love how random little kids can be. Don’t you? I learn the most amazing things from my boys. In that spirit, I had the best conversation with Nicholas tonight.
“Mommy,” Nicholas said as I tucked him into bed, “Did you know that octopus have arm regeneration?”
“Arm regeneration?” I asked. “Regeneration? Nice word Nicholas.” I’ll give you one guess where he learned that. It starts with a Wild and ends with a Kratts.
“Thank you, Mommy,” (Oh my gosh, how cute can he be?) “Yup. Arm regeneration. It means that if an octopus loses his arm, he grows a new one. Like, if a predator bites off his arm (you knew it had to get a little gruesome somewhere) he can grow a new one.”
“That is a great fact, Nicholas,” I said as I gave him a snuggle and pretended to eat his sweet little neck. Think it would regenerate?
My youngest wasn’t done.
“And, octopus have jet propulsion.”
“Whoa!” I replied. This kid was full of crazy words tonight. He may (probably) have just be stalling his bedtime, but with that kind of vocabulary he could go right ahead! He did not get those words from me. “What’s jet propulsion?”
“Well, it’s when water going through the octopus’ brain and it makes him move really, really fast. Like, 70 miles an hour fast. So he can get away from predators.”
So he won’t need to use that arm regeneration, of course.
Now, I’ll agree with Nicholas’ definition of arm regeneration. I don’t know much about octopuses (or is it octopi?), but it sounded like a sound fact. And, did you know that octopus have arms, not tentacles. True fact, as brought to you by Nichol-bug.
Jet propulsion through the brain? At 70 miles an hour? Hmmm…For more on how octopus move through the water, click here. Auntie Jenn? Anything to add?
“Nicholas,” I said as I gave him one last nighttime squeeze. “You taught me some cool octopus facts tonight. You are a cool kid.”
“You’re welcome, Mommy.”
Do you think he’s experiencing jet propulsion? Through his brain?
Love him!
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment