Skip to main content

Let It Snow

I take full blame for the all the snow that we’ve been getting lately. It is completely and totally my fault. I’m sorry. But, I can’t say that I regret it. I don’t. I’ve been saying over and over, and to the disbelief of many, that I just wish that it would snow. Let it snow! And it did.

I know. Crazy to wish for snow, right? All the shoveling and the snow days and the messy driving. Who on earth would wish for snow? Well, me. I don’t even mind all the cold that we’ve been getting either (apart from what my electric bill will look like this month). And here’s why:

The boys can play in the snow.

IMG_20140122_114207601

Look, I’m used to snow. I grew-up with snow. Snow in January (and right through to April!) is normal to me. When I was little, my parents would bundle my sister and brother and me up warmly, and send us out to play. And we’d play for hours in all that cold, beautiful, white stuff. My dad would build us a sledding mountain or an ice-rink in the backyard, and we’d have a blast. With all the running and jumping and playing, we didn’t even feel the chill.

Kids and snow just go together. It’s a happy little marriage of wintertime fun.

But not, I think, in Pennsylvania. In Pennsylvania we don’t (usually) get a whole lot of snow. At least not since we moved here. Or in comparison to Montreal. Sure, it snows sometimes, but the temperatures aren’t cold enough for it to stick around for more than a few days. So, you get the kids outside as much as possible immediately after a snowstorm. Then, it melts. And it’s wet. And muddy. And cold. Now, maybe I’m a wimp, but there is nothing appealing to me about sending the boys outside to play in the cold, wet mud. Especially since I have to go out with them. Without the snow, winters around here are damp and dreary, without a whole lot of outdoor fun to be had. Last year, all that indoor time wrecked havoc with my sanity. Sure, we did stuff – movies and crafts, baking and games – but there is only so much indoor togetherness that I can take (I love you boys, really I do) before my entire body is screaming “I can’t take it anymore!! Let’s get outside!!”. But not to play in the cold, wet mud. No thanks.

IMG_20140121_170107568

Look, I get that winter is a pain in the bum. The ice, the salt, the cold. I’m not saying that I’d take snow over sunny summer weather. Let’s not go too far here. But, while snow might be cold and wet, it’s not muddy. I don’t need to do the washing or hose down the boys (and dog!) after it’s been played in. Melted snow is way easier to clean off my kitchen floor than December (or January, February, March) dirt.  

Besides, getting outside in the snow is an activity in and of itself, before you even add in the sledding or snow angels or snowman making. Putting on boots and snow-pants, hats and mittens takes at least 15 minutes, and that’s before one of my pip-squeaks decides that he has to go to the bathroom after he’s snowsuit ready. Why do they always do that? You’d think by now it would be routine: Potty first, snowsuit second. Nope. Doesn’t matter. It takes up time. And on those days when I am searching for something (anything!!) to do to keep busy, potty away. I’ll wait. 

I don’t even mind shoveling. It’s exercise. And I’d rather shovel than vacuum or dust. I’d definitely rather shovel than clean the bathroom. Last Tuesday, after our big storm, we even got a little help with the shoveling. As Pierre and I were out, tossing shovel after shovel of fluffy white, a plow went by our house. He stopped, reversed and cleaned the end of the driveway for us. You know, the really heavy stuff that gets piled on from cars passing by. How’s that for a random act of kindness? Much appreciated Mr. Plow Driver. Thank you!

Maybe I’m in the minority in regards to snow. Maybe it’s something in my Canadian blood (although all you Montrealers reading this are probably throwing things at your computers and thinking, “Sure, she likes the snow. It won’t stick around until June!”). I think I’m not the only one though. I think that there are other parents, like me, who have a heartfelt appreciation for rosy, winter cheeks brought on by outdoor fun.

And if you don’t, you can blame me for the snow. I don’t mind.

xo Naomi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Funny Medicine

So, after blogging about Ben’s ear infection, a good friend messaged me on Facebook with a unique remedy for ear pain. She’s had a ruptured eardrum, so if she says that this works, I’m inclined to believe her. Here’s the message: “If Ben complains about pain, take an onion and mash it as you would a potato. Then, wrap it in something and heat it in the microwave till it’s hot (not hot like I'll burn you if I touch it, but hot). Take it out of the microwave and wrap it in a towel (don't worry you can wash it out after), put it on a pillow and then have Ben put his sore ear on it. When he no longer feels the heat, move a piece of towel away so he is one layer closer to the onion.” What do you think? Neat, eh? My pediatrician recommended a few drops of olive oil in the ear to ease pain. I’ve tried it with Ben, and it seemed to give him some relief. I’m going to try the onion. Why not? It’s an alternative that just might work. And I think that Ben would find it kind of fun to put...

Here we go….

I’ve been wanting to start a blog for a while now. I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about starting it, talking about starting it, tinkering with the layout (and that was hard because I am basically a computer-dummy), and now, writing it. Is anyone actually going to read what I write on here? Maybe. Well….my mom will read it (Hi Mom!). Regardless, I do have a purpose to starting this, and here it is: Deciding to be a mom was one the very best decision that I have ever made (second only to marrying Pierre), and I want to share that. The time spent being home with my boys goes by so fast. Ok….let’s rephrase that….actual days can seem endless (and there are definitely times when I call Pierre at work, and tell him not to dare come home without wine. Or chocolate. Or both!!), but still each day, each week, seems to be going by faster and faster. I blinked and my youngest went from being a baby to turning three years old this coming Tuesday. And the next time I blink he’ll be thirty-three!...

Caterpillars Are Friends

After all the complaining about ticks, I probably should try to show that I am a friend to most creepy-crawlies. So, allow me to introduce to the newest members of our family….five Painted-Lady Butterfly caterpillars.   Nicholas received these little critters for his birthday from our very good friends Kim & Brad, and their three awesome kiddos.  (Kim used to teach preschool…can you tell?). They came as part of a Live Butterfly Garden and Hatching Kit. We ordered our caterpillars online (anyone interested? Check out www.insectlore.com ), and within three days our caterpillars were delivered to our front porch (I wonder what the postman thought of that? Hope he doesn’t mind larvae!). The boys and I followed the directions in the box, which pretty much amounted to leaving the hungry little bugs alone, (Nicholas needs frequent reminders. He likes to turn the jar upside-down. Can caterpillars have heart attacks?), and in a few more days we should have five little chrysalid...