Oh, the weather outside is frightful.
It’s a rainy day. Rainy and damp and cold. The kind of day that chills you to the toes, and makes you want to cuddle under a cozy blanket with a cup of tea. Or make Christmas cookies. Or watch a movie, with a big bowl of popcorn, snuggled on the couch. Or take a hot shower, just to warm-up. More or less anything to stay inside and warm.
It is definitely not the kind of day to walk to the bus stop. But, when I grabbed my van keys as Ben and I headed out the door after lunchtime, my oldest was not impressed.
“Mommy,” he said, just short of a whine, “Why aren’t we walking?”
Seriously? Now, I am all for going for walks. The boys and I take Indy for walks to the bus-stop just about everyday. But, not today. Not happening.
“Benjamin,” I replied. “It is cold and rainy and gross outside. It will be absolutely miserable standing at the bus stop in this weather.”
“But Mommy,” Ben disagreed. “Don’t you remember Grandpa’s favorite quote? ‘Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain!’”
Now, this really is one of my Dad’s favorite quotes. In fact, we had just sent him a magnet with this quote for his birthday earlier in the week. And Ben had just recited it verbatim. Nothing wrong with this kid’s memory.
“So, what does that mean Ben?” I asked, grabbing my purse and zipping my coat a little higher.
“It means we have to walk to the bus!!” He said matter-of-factly.
I wish I could tell you that Ben had, in fact, convinced me to walk to the bus stop. He didn’t. Quotes or no quotes, I wasn’t chilling my toes anymore than they already were. I know. I’m a wimp.
I did, however, promise Ben that the very next rainy day – well rainy and warm day – we would go outside to dance in the rain.
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment