My name is Naomi and I am addicted to coupons. It has been two days since my last clipping.
I’m not really exaggerating. I do love coupons. And since Pierre and I only recently upgraded to 21st-century cell phones, I’m not at all up-to-date with my coupon apps yet. Honestly, there’s just something about clipping those little circulars that I love. Every Saturday morning, when the weekly ads come in, I sit with my scissors and a cup of tea and snip, snip, snip to my heart’s content. Then, I stow all my little treasures away into a little plastic file that I keep in my purse. Each week, as I make my grocery list, I pull out my little pouch and look to see which paper-gems are going to save me money! I’m shockingly disappointed during weeks when the ads don’t come.
It might just be an addiction. My grocery store doesn’t help by doubling most coupons under a dollar. Enabler!
Look, we’re a one salary family. I get to stay home because Pierre goes to work, so my job is to make his salary go farther. Coupons help. A lot. And I’ve gotten the whole family into my coupon-way-of-life. The boys are very used to hearing me say, “Sorry. I’m not buying that. I don’t have a coupon.” Here’s the confession, sometimes I use coupons as an excuse to not buy something that they might want. Super-chocolaty-bouncing-off-the-walls-sugar-high cereal? Sorry, Mommy doesn’t have a coupon for that (and never will).
My coupon obsession may have gone too far, however.
Nicholas and I were playing a word-game last week. He had to match an upper-case and lower-case letter with a corresponding picture. Big C and little c matched-up with “car”, big Z and little z with “zebra”. Nicholas was doing a great job, then we came to the letter M.
Nicholas found his upper and lower-case M, but couldn’t find the the M picture. It was a drawing of dollars and coins – money. I tried to give him a clue.
“It’s something that you need to buy things at the store,” I told him.
I half-expected him to say credit card (honestly, do you carry cash anymore? I rarely do). Instead, Nicholas thought for a minute, then asked for another hint.
I replied, “It’s something that I use to buy things when we do groceries.”
Nicholas perked up in his seat and yelled at the top of his voice, “COUPONS!!!”
I might need help.
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment