Earlier this week, Nicholas and I took a trip to the post office.
I like our post office. The postmen who work there are extremely personable. They tease me about being Canadian, and they always have a mailbox full of stickers for the boys to choose from. The office has a small-town feel to it. I’ve blogged about trips to the post office before. Remember this one?
On this day, the post office was particularly busy. When Nicholas and I arrived, the line-up was almost to the door with easily ten people in front of us. Oh, and one postman at the desk. It made sense really. I had headed out to buy stamps immediately after dropping Ben at the bus, around lunchtime. Lunchtime at the post office. Nicholas and I got ready to wait.
To pass the time, we played I Spy…”I spy with my little eye something that is red”. Nicholas loves this game! It’s an ingenious invention to keep small children busy, especially when I’ve neglected to bring snacks or toys.
Nicholas and I went back and forth trying to stump each other with items to spy:
“I spy with my little eye something that is shaped like a rectangle.”
“I spy the letter A.”
“I spy blue and green stripes.”
“A puppy, owl’s eyes, the flag, a gray square, something that makes the sound /b/…”
We went on this way for quite awhile, as we slowly inched our way forward. Nicholas was quietly (and a few times not so quietly!) moving through the office, pointing out what he spied. From the corner of my eye, I could see the woman in back of us watching Nicholas intently. Uh-oh. Was she getting annoyed with our game? We’d probably said “I spy with my little eye” at least 20 times by that point. I could see it getting tedious.
I turned and gave her a big smile. When in doubt, start with a smile.
She grinned sheepishly in return, “I’m sorry. I’m playing the game too, and trying to find all the items. It’s helping to pass the time.”
We both started to laugh when the woman two people back chimed-in, “I’m playing too!!”
I guess “I Spy” helps to keep big kids busy too.
Nicholas and I, with our new friends listening in, continued with our game until we made it to the desk where
Nicholas found a mailbox full of plastic Halloween rings. He chose a bat.
I wonder if the ladies in line continued the game after we had gone.
xo Naomi
It's so cute that the ladies were playing!!
ReplyDeleteIsn't it? I love that they weren't annoyed with us, and played along!!
Delete