Both of my little men started school last Friday, and their starts could not have gone better.
First up was Nicholas. He was back to his preschool for a second year, this time three days a week.
At drop-off, Nicholas was out of the van the second I put it in park. I shouted a quick “I love you. Have a good day”, but I’m not sure he even heard. My heart broke a little that I didn’t get a backward glance, but isn’t that what I want? To raise an independent little boy who’s eager to go to school? Still, did he have to get independent so quickly?
When I picked Nicholas up later that morning he was a fountain of words, spouting out his entire morning, from start to finish. I heard all about who had new shoes, who was cranky, who he sat beside, who he played with, what he ate for snack, and how much he wanted to go back. He even showed off his artwork:
Next up was Benjamin.
First day of kindergarten, first time on the bus. Pierre came home, and together with Nicholas, Mrs. P. and Indy, we walked Ben to the corner. And waited. When the bus finally came, a matter of minutes that seemed like seconds and hours all at the same time, Ben hopped right on, without looking back.
And I only cried a little.
Ben was a little more tight-lipped about his first day than his brother. That’s to be excepted from Ben. It’ll all come out in a few days from now, once he’s had enough time to think it through.
Now we’re about a week into our new routine, and it feels good. Life is slowly finding a rhythm after the chaos that is summertime. I like routine. I’m just that kind of girl, I guess.
Hope your start to the school year started without a hitch.
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment