There was a silver lining in the midst of all my grouchiness last week (Oscar had nothing on me).
We came home from school pick-up to find a package on our deck. The boys love packages, and so do I. Especially unexpected ones. An unexpected package could be just about anything, and they are usually too big to be a bill. Love, love, love.
Benjamin and Nicholas ran to the porch to snatch-up the surprise, and rushed into the house to open it. As I helped the boys tear open the brown paper envelope, Benjamin caught a glimpse of what was inside:
“Books!” He exclaimed. “I bet they’re from Miss Gloria.”
You remember Miss Gloria. She’s Pierre’s colleague, the amazing one who gave Benjamin and Nicholas their playhouse. Miss Gloria has a Nicholas of her own, now a college student. She knows all about little boys. And every once in awhile, Pierre will bring home a surprise for the boys from Miss Gloria. Most recently, it was a sticker book about dinosaurs. And when Benjamin knocked out his three front teeth last September, Miss Gloria gave him a fantastic book about The Real Tooth Fairy. The book is a must have for all parents.
Not too long ago, Miss Gloria got the boys started with the The Magic Tree House series of books. We read them aloud together, and Benjamin and Nicholas gobbled them up. I love those books. The Magic Tree House is one of the best series of children’s chapter books that I have read. So, it seemed completely appropriate that Miss Gloria start the boys (and me!) on our next book series. She sent us The Secrets of Droon. Just the title is wonderful!
I love reading chapter books with my monkeys. We snuggle together as they beg for just one more chapter. Some days, it is the only downtime that we get. So, Miss Gloria’s present was just as much for me, as it was for Benjamin and Nicholas.
Even more exciting than a package on the porch, it an act of unexpected kindness. And in the midst of my grouchy week, it felt so nice to know that someone special was thinking of the boys and me.
Thank you Miss Gloria!
xo Naomi
Comments
Post a Comment