Skip to main content

Zinc Sulfide and Ben

You know where this is headed…

Ben went to a birthday party Monday evening. Let me just say, a kid’s birthday party on a Monday (or any weekday evening for that matter) is pure genius! Ben got home from school, did his homework, then was off for two hours of bouncy inflatable fun, pizza and cake. He came home wiped-out and, after ripping into his goody-bag, went soundly to sleep. Perfect!

Yesterday afternoon, when he should have been focusing on his homework, Ben was busy taking another peek through his birthday party treats.  He found a rubber bracelet.

“Mommy, I’m going to test this bracelet for Zinc Sulfide.”

Huh?

“You’re going to do what?” I asked, cookie-making spatula frozen in mid-air. Zinc what?

“Zinc Sulfide. I’m going to see if this bracelet has Zinc Sulfide in it.”

Right, Zinc Sulfide. What did I know about Zinc Sulfide? Um, absolutely nothing! I had to Google Zinc Sulfide just to know how to spell Sulfide (which FYI, has an f not a ph). Frankly, I had no clue what the kid was talking about.

DSC00029 

What is he thinking?

“So,” I asked with trepidation. “How are you going to do that?” I was imagining all sorts of trouble: smoke, fire, explosions! Who knew what Ben had in mind?

“Like this!” Ben said, marching into our darkened dining room. He held the bracelet in the air. “Yep! It glows! It has Zinc Sulfide!!”

I was slowly catching on.

“Mommy,” Ben explained. “Zinc Sulfide makes things glow-in-the-dark. It takes the light, then make its own light in the dark.”

My mouth dropped to my knees.

“Ben, how do you know all this?” I certainly don’t.

“Papa taught me when we did the Magic Science Kit.” (Love, LOVE the POOF-Slinky Scientific Explorer Kits).

Of course. I should have known that Pierre was behind this.

“Well Ben, I am super impressed that you remember what Papa taught you.”

“Yeah Mommy, my mind is full of the scientific method.”

Honestly, I can’t make this stuff up. I love writing this blog for just that reason. Kids say the most incredible, amazing, mind-blowing things. And I get to write about it.  Turns out, Ben was right. Luminous Zinc Sulfide does, in fact, glow. It’s all about fluorescence and phosphorescence (and that is as scientific as I am going to get). Scroll down this link to find out more. 

I pounced on Pierre the minute he walked through the door from work:

“So…Ben was telling me all about zinc sulfide.”

Pierre just grinned.

Over dinner, Ben told us about a rhyme he had made up, adapted from a song his teacher taught him in school that day:

Ben figures things out,

Scientific method is what he’s about!

And later that night, after the boys had gone to bed,  Pierre held Ben’s bracelet under a lamp until it glowed.  “Look,” he said holding it out to me, “Zinc Sulfide.”

Two peas in a little scientific method pod.

xo Naomi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Funny Medicine

So, after blogging about Ben’s ear infection, a good friend messaged me on Facebook with a unique remedy for ear pain. She’s had a ruptured eardrum, so if she says that this works, I’m inclined to believe her. Here’s the message: “If Ben complains about pain, take an onion and mash it as you would a potato. Then, wrap it in something and heat it in the microwave till it’s hot (not hot like I'll burn you if I touch it, but hot). Take it out of the microwave and wrap it in a towel (don't worry you can wash it out after), put it on a pillow and then have Ben put his sore ear on it. When he no longer feels the heat, move a piece of towel away so he is one layer closer to the onion.” What do you think? Neat, eh? My pediatrician recommended a few drops of olive oil in the ear to ease pain. I’ve tried it with Ben, and it seemed to give him some relief. I’m going to try the onion. Why not? It’s an alternative that just might work. And I think that Ben would find it kind of fun to put...

Here we go….

I’ve been wanting to start a blog for a while now. I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about starting it, talking about starting it, tinkering with the layout (and that was hard because I am basically a computer-dummy), and now, writing it. Is anyone actually going to read what I write on here? Maybe. Well….my mom will read it (Hi Mom!). Regardless, I do have a purpose to starting this, and here it is: Deciding to be a mom was one the very best decision that I have ever made (second only to marrying Pierre), and I want to share that. The time spent being home with my boys goes by so fast. Ok….let’s rephrase that….actual days can seem endless (and there are definitely times when I call Pierre at work, and tell him not to dare come home without wine. Or chocolate. Or both!!), but still each day, each week, seems to be going by faster and faster. I blinked and my youngest went from being a baby to turning three years old this coming Tuesday. And the next time I blink he’ll be thirty-three!...

Caterpillars Are Friends

After all the complaining about ticks, I probably should try to show that I am a friend to most creepy-crawlies. So, allow me to introduce to the newest members of our family….five Painted-Lady Butterfly caterpillars.   Nicholas received these little critters for his birthday from our very good friends Kim & Brad, and their three awesome kiddos.  (Kim used to teach preschool…can you tell?). They came as part of a Live Butterfly Garden and Hatching Kit. We ordered our caterpillars online (anyone interested? Check out www.insectlore.com ), and within three days our caterpillars were delivered to our front porch (I wonder what the postman thought of that? Hope he doesn’t mind larvae!). The boys and I followed the directions in the box, which pretty much amounted to leaving the hungry little bugs alone, (Nicholas needs frequent reminders. He likes to turn the jar upside-down. Can caterpillars have heart attacks?), and in a few more days we should have five little chrysalid...